1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

My Dad never talked about his family.

Discussion in 'How I got started in Family History' started by DaisyD, Sep 6, 2014.

1. DaisyD

DaisyD New Member

I'm new to the forum so still finding my way around and thought this would be the best place to start! I started researching my family history nearly 4 years ago following a family discussion about my Dad's ancestors. Dad died in 1977 when I was young and apart from my 1/2 sister (from his 1st marriage) who is now in her 80's I knew nothing and nobody from his past. I asked my Mum (also in her 80's) and she said that Dad never spoke about his previous life to the point that she never even knew if he had any siblings! A long story cut short (ish) I spoke with my 1/2 sister (there were 2 others but no contact with them due to family split after the war) and she had tried some research but hit a very early brick wall because Dad's birth surname was different from the one he had always been known as. It was known that his Mum had married Albert with our surname and he had been killed in WW1 and was buried in France. My sister had despatched her husband to France to find the grave, which he did, and photos are now shared with the wider family.
    A friend had been researching her family and talked me into signing up for FMP and of course LC, which I did, and I'm now fully obsessed with it all, to the point where my kids also moan about me talking about 'the family tree again'. I have found a dozen or so new cousins from my Granny's side (Dad's Mum) who stem from her marriage to Albert and then subsequent marriage after his death. I now have photos of her for the first time and all our families get on really well, making sure we meet up despite the long distances across the UK. I found my Dad listed as adopted by Albert on the 1911 census (no doubt unofficially) and it was great to see Albert writing in his own handwriting that he had an adopted son with his new wife.
    Since then I've researched a lot of ancestry on my Dad's birth name but haven't managed to speak with anyone that would be closely related to know what exactly happened with that birth connection. I've also carried on back past my adopted Granddad Albert as it's my named line, and I'm now trying to get as far back as possible on Granny's maiden name line, but there are brick walls everywhere with no birth records for some of the children, no entries on census' for any of the family etc.
    I will press on and do as much as possible and maybe someone in the family at some point may be grateful for all my work. If not I don't care as it's great for me! Thanks for reading the thesis.

2. john46

john46 LostCousins Member

DaisyD, have you got your dads birth cert, and what is the surnames that you are searcing for, the more info that you can give, will hopefully help brickwalls to come down
    John

3. DaisyD

DaisyD New Member

John - Sorry yes I didn't say as trying to keep the entry as short as possible. I've got all that so know who his Dad was listed as being and have a very comprehensive tree for the paternal side of things under his birth name. I've just not managed to find a relative close enough who knew that Granddad or any of his close family. I'm now working on 3 trees (probably ill advised) of Dad's birth name, his adopted line through Albert, and his Mum's maiden name line. I have 3 large trees coming together, all with brick walls like everyone else, but still lots to try and do. Thanks for your response.

4. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the Forum Daisy.

Good Luck in breaking down those brick walls.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

Daisy, I had to smile when I read your reference to " the long distances across the UK" - you are just so fortunate as you can get almost anywhere there within a day. Visit Oz and you will really know what long distances are:).
    Hope that you enjoy the Forum as much as I do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. DaisyD

DaisyD New Member

Thanks Margery - Yes it's easy to forget about such things. I have visited the wonderful country and know what you mean, although there are lots of internal flights! I do have relatives there (as does my wife - Daisy is a nickname of mine due to the surname) and we did a lovely tour in 2000 before the little ones arrived. I made contact with a new Cousin early in my research (via LC) but have lost touch again as she is very poor at replying to any emails etc. Maybe we'll get to visit again one day?

7. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

Oh dear! We Aussies are very laid back when it comes to answering emails - maybe a little nudge? Pleased that you have visited downunder - it's a long way, I know and there are times when we do feel isolated. We have been over there 4 times but age is getting to us now and I doubt that we'll do it again (maybe someone will offer us a first class ticket:D?

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  8. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Hi Daisy, welcome to the forum. It sounds as though you have made a great start with your family tree. As more and more information becomes available on the internet, hopefully your brick walls will come tumbling down.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  9. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Since you made the contact via Lost Cousins it may be worthwhile asking Peter if he can check the other persons status. He's really good at tracing down people who have moved, changed email addresses etc for Lost Cousins members.