1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Maiden names spark interest

Discussion in 'How I got started in Family History' started by Joseph42, Nov 1, 2019.

1. Joseph42

Joseph42 LostCousins Member

My mother's maiden name and that of my wife were the same - Appleby. Since I had never met anyone with that name other than my grandfather and my wife had never met anyone with that name other than her father and his sister we thought it possible that we might be related somewhere in the past.
    I started out looking for that common ancestor in 1985 and am still looking. Early in the process we became connected with a seasoned genealogist in Sunderland, Co. Durham who had researched the Appleby name and was a cousin to my wife. His research led me to connections in Norway, New Zealand and the United States but always through the female line. Later I joined the Appleby One Name Society and through that the Appleby DNA Project. A person in the United States who was a distant cousin of my wife had his DNA tested and then in 2014 a woman in Marseille, France contacted the DNA Project. The coordinator asked me if I could place her in either my line or that of my wife and I was able to place her, through her father, into my line. He generaously offered to take the DNA test (he was 93) and the results showed that my mother's Appleby lineage did closely match that of my wife...but not until one gets back about 10-12 generations. Regrettably I have still not been able to find that elusive common ancestor as my Appleby line hits a brick wall in Kelloe, Durham in the late 18th century. I recently had my DNA tested but so far haven't had any breakthrough although I'm following Peter's tips.
    Joe Forsyth

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

My 1st cousin has Appelbe/Appelby ancestors (from Somerset, where the cider apples grow). It's worth checking these alternative spellings when searching genetic cousins' trees - I don't recommend Ancestry's fuzzy-matching as the results I've had in the past have been erratic, to say the least.

3. Joseph42

Joseph42 LostCousins Member

I do check the many different spellings Peter - sometimes it seems like people made up different ways to spell the name just for fun! Haven't found any ancestors from Somerset yet.