1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Lives of the First World War

Discussion in 'Latest news' started by Alexander Bisset, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Liberty

Liberty LostCousins Megastar

Actually, just had another look at my GF's page and none of the buttons work, either. That is, you can't even search official records. Something far wrong with the site.

2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

It all started out so promising, a nice concept and fairly easy to use. But now, charging people to add info for other people to look at and the site not working properly, I'm afraid I'm going off it.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Liberty

Just got a reply

"We are aware of a possible issue which occurred with certain browsers unfortunately. Our developers are investigating how this happened however if you clear your cache ( files & cookies) and refresh, you should see that the information is there.

No information has been lost - the details will still be there."

?Reassured, guys?

4. Liberty

To be fair to them, clearing a bit of browser history (past hour, in Chrome) seems to have fixed the problem

5. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Phew - clearing the past hour in Chrome worked for me, too. Thanks a lot, Liberty.

6. Liberty

Trouble shared, trouble halved, Gillian.:)

It still looks like a problem with their site, though. Something like that really shouldn't happen and is likely to get users into a tizzy

7. pjd

pjd LostCousins Star

I've had the same problem - frustrating when all your work just disappears - but fixed as soon as I cleared cache etc as suggested
    Let's hope things are fixed soon before too many folk are put off

8. Liberty

Britjan, as of yesterday (and still today, I think), before the payment system sets in) you can create a community for free. It would seem ( from the discussion threads) to be what is recommended for linking brothers etc. I have created a community for 3 brothers who were killed (2 on the same day, at Gallipoli)

I also created a community for the Sheringham war memorial. This does cause me slight qualms in that 1. I have no particular 'claim' to it - possibly the local Royal British Legion should manage the list 2. will anyone else see that these men are part of this community? 3. if I don't become a Friend of the site, who will manage the list? However, for my own purposes I wanted to flag them up as a group, so we'll see how it goes.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  9. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

I just ran into somewhat the same issue when I looked at the Saxlingham Nethergate war memorial site again in more detail . While I do have a claim to the men listed, the depth of detail provided in general far surpasses anything I have currently taken upon myself to research. I am going to list it for now with the appropriate credits and see what transpires. I have attempted to contact the person who constructed the site of course.

10. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

I had a response and I think it may lead to learning more on subjects other than WWI which proves, as usual, that it is always worth reaching out. We'll see how IWM rolls out "community" in the coming months.

11. Liberty

Is it just me, or can other people not get to the site this evening?

I get this message - You attempted to reach www.livesofthefirstworldwar.org, but instead you actually reached a server identifying itself as blog.findmypast.co.uk. This may be caused by a misconfiguration on the server or by something more serious. An attacker on your network could be trying to get you to visit a fake (and potentially harmful) version of www.livesofthefirstworldwar.org.

Possibly I need to clear my browser history (or something) but that's a bit startling

12. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

They are going live on the 12th they have probably had the DNS updated a bit too early, or you got it whilst they were updating.

I'm now getting
    Lives of the First World War is launching to the public on 12 May 2014!

We're doing some final tests before we open the site to everyone. Thank you to everyone who helped test the site – your feedback has been invaluable.

13. Tim

Yes, I get the same. I just can't wait.....

14. Alexander Bisset

What are you doing up at this hour Tim. Its over 24 hrs to wait :)

15. Tim

Lol, going to bed!

16. Liberty

Hmmm. I'm still getting the message. My internet protection service doesn't like the web address, and doesn't want me to go to the redirected address. I'm not going to over-ride it (even if it is being overcautious) so it looks as if something odd is happening somewhere

17. Alexander Bisset

Whilst your browser is closed open a cmd window by pressing windows key and holding down R or by clicking start and typing cmd in the box.

When then cmd window opens (a black window with white text) type the following command to clear (or flush) your DNS cache this forces your machine to ask your internet provider's server for the new address rather than rely on what your machine thinks it is.

ipconfig /flushdns

There's a space between the ipconfig and the /flushdns. Once you do this start your browser again and try the site.

By default your machine stores the addresses of sites you visit so it can reach them more quickly as you revisit the site or browse more pages on the same site. Typically it remembers the address for between 3 and 5 days. Then it checks to see if it's still the same. It's rare for a server to change so this is usually ok. In this case telling your PC to forget the addresses it knows means it forces your PC to use the new address.

18. Tim

Seems a strange time to launch a website, midnight GMT.

19. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

Oh dear site just crashed on me... :( just when I was on a roll. Guess it proves that it's popular

20. Tim

That's not so good then. I tried earlier, and it seemed to work ok, a little faster than I remembered from the Beta testing.