1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

It all started with a hand written family tree chart

Discussion in 'How I got started in Family History' started by Maggyanne, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Maggyanne

Maggyanne New Member

Back in the last eighties one of my mother's cousins sent her a hand written family tree of one of our Germany families who migrated to Australia in the 1870's. And it all started from there. Before internet genealogy of course and I spent many hours looking at microfiche, LDS microfilms, material from local archives etc. But I was hooked from the start and now that I am retired, it's become a total addiction and I also have time to help other with their searches.

I love to see the original records and try to look at whole families, not just direct lines. It continues to thrill me to try to interpret the family stories by gathering together records from vital records, censuses, shipping records, parish records, as well as talking to connected families. And with more and more records becoming available on-line, so many brickwalls have fallen. I've even had some success with DNA matches. Life is good.

• Agree Agree x 2