1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

I'm sure I can do better than I did at University

Discussion in 'How I got started in Family History' started by IanL, Sep 25, 2018.

1. IanL

IanL LostCousins Superstar

I was a sickly child and spent a lot of time being looked after by my grandparents. My grandmother talked a great deal about the family origins in the West Country & East Anglia. So I was delighted when at university in the 70s that they tasked us to write about the origins of our family as a summer project. A daunting task I now realize. In those pre-internet days all I had was a book I found on genealogy and my grandmother's memories. I didn't have the time or money to visit record offices. I don't think I made a very good job of it. The university didn't think so either.

In the 1990s my father-in-law and a group of friends started researching the history of their village as a Millennium project. In preparation they all went on a course on research techniques. My father-in-law showed me the course material and I realized that I could use it to have another go at the family history and that perhaps this time I could do justice to my grandmother. The sad thing was that I had lost all the material I used for the university project and by this time my grandparents were dead.

I've had a lot of fun and I'm sure that I might even have surprised my grandmother with my discoveries. However, we have letters to my grandmother from relatives who even after 20 years of research I haven't worked out where they fit in the tree. So perhaps another 20 years of fun to look forward to.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 4