1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

How You can Help Yourself to Taste Success!

Discussion in 'How to decide who to enter' started by Red Dragon, May 10, 2013.

1. Red Dragon

Red Dragon LostCousins Megastar

Hi Everyone!

Here's a weekly update on how well people have been doing over at LostCousins.
    • 11 New Members joined the LostCousins site
    • 2,540 New Entries have been added and
    • 135 Relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. New Entries and Relatives Matched are up this week, there are some lucky members out there finding new cousins and hopefully breaking down brick walls.

Thoughts go out to families who have lost loved ones too early. Hands, Face, Masks. #Staysafe

New Members mean New Entries, and New Entries mean New Matches. Everyone wins.

Good Luck Everyone!

Here's a graph showing the activity over at the Lost Cousins site
    upload_2022-3-11_10-12-43.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  2. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 42 New Members joined the LostCousins site
    • 3,143 New Entries have been added and
    • 275 Relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. Spring is in the air, the sun is out and all numbers are up this week. The ratio of New Entries to Relatives matched is 11.43, so on average every 12th person entered made a match for 2 lucky people.

Thoughts go out to families who have lost loved ones too early. Hands, Face, Masks. #Staysafe

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2022-3-18_10-14-23.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  3. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

I should have mentioned that I expelled 7 members who live in a certain country, so that will have affected last week's membership numbers. None of them were taking part in the LostCousins project so entries and matches were unaffected.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  4. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 17 New Members joined the LostCousins site
    • 2,560 New Entries have been added and
    • 168 Relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. Bit of a quiet week, all numbers are down.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2022-3-25_9-55-45.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  5. peter

We've had lovely weather here - I've been out in the garden mowing the lawn when I could have been researching my family tree.

6. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

Reply to off-topic comment added to discussion "What's the weather like where you are?" as post #409. :)

Sorry that I have not provided a direct link to my reply but this is experimental and not a standard capability.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2022
  7. Well done Bryman, it came up as a new Post.

8. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 28 New Members joined the LostCousins site
    • 1,617 New Entries have been added and
    • 91 Relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. Another quiet week, only New members up this week. Sun last week, snow this week, Spring is in the air....

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2022-4-1_10-33-42.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  9. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 48 New Members joined the LostCousins site
    • 1,362 New Entries have been added and
    • 121 Relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. Another quiet week, only New members and New Matches up this week.
    The ratio of New Entries to New matches was 11.26, so on average every 12th person added made a match for someone.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2022-4-8_10-6-59.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 3
  10. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 62 New Members joined the LostCousins site
    • 4,292 New Entries have been added and
    • 228 Relatives have been matched.
    Happy Easter Everyone.

Always good to see New Members joining. Quite a busy week, all numbers up, lots of New Entries and lots of New Matches!

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2022-4-15_11-24-3.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  11. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 47 New Members joined the LostCousins site
    • 5,748 New Entries have been added and
    • 348 Relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. New Entries and Relatives Matched up again this week, and all numbers are above the 6 month running average.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2022-4-22_10-10-13.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  12. peter

Excellent numbers, well done everyone.

13. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 23 New Members joined the LostCousins site
    • 2,415 New Entries have been added and
    • 182 Relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. A quiet week this week, all numbers are down, but still pretty healthy.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2022-4-29_10-41-17.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  14. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 22 New Members joined the LostCousins site
    • 2,397 New Entries have been added and
    • -2 Relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. Another quiet week this week, all numbers are slightly down, and it looks like an account has been closed and they have removed their matches.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2022-5-6_10-8-47.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  15. peter

I'm afraid so - not everyone has someone to pass their research on to.

16. Even if they do the inheritor may not want to bother with Lost Cousins.

17. peter

Most LostCousins members are wise enough to choose someone as their beneficiary who will value their research and the contacts they've made - that's certainly been the case for the past 18 years.

18. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

This has always worried me that such research effort might be wasted, or at least not fully utilised. Any nominated successor may have agreed to continue the research but be unable to do so when the time comes to take over.

I realise that privacy is important but is there any possibility of setting up a category/class of census references which are not attributed to a current LC member? There would be no 'owner' to communicate with but the raw data might be useful to confirm research or even fill gaps or suggest areas which could benefit from further investigation.

I have not properly thought this through but wondered if other members might think it worth considering further? I am not trying to add to Peter's workload and even if potentially useful it may not be feasible if too much effort would be required to put in place.

In any case, I would expect that members would need to opt-in to such a scheme rather than have it as a default.

19. peter

There is no need for a successor to actively continue the research, or to do so immediately - they need merely act as custodian. It's much the same with DNA results and online trees.

20. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 20 New Members joined the LostCousins site
    • 1,867 New Entries have been added and
    • 48 Relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. A quiet week this week, only relatives matched up this week.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2022-5-13_10-40-56.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2