1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  3. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  4. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

FTM 2019 incoming

Discussion in 'Family Tree Maker' started by jorghes, May 16, 2019.

1. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Star

The Preferences offered are divided into 3 tabs as shown in these screenshots (the backup one is near the top of the 'general' tab):

FTM-Preferences General tab.png FTM-Preferences Dates:Names:Places tab.png FTM-Preferences Warnings tab.png

The ? in the bottom right corner takes you to the relevant Help page which gives more information about the options. The description for the 'backup' option says:
    "Select the Automatically option to make a backup file of your tree each time you exit Family Tree Maker. The backup file is created in the default folder and is given the tree name followed by "_AutoBackup.ftmd" (for example: "Kennedy Family Tree_AutoBackup.ftmd"). Note: Media files are not included in the backup file."

2. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Star

The Windows version of FTM 2019 has similar tabs, but 4 as it happens: General- Names/Dates/Places- Warnings-References. No '?' in either tab. Here is a screen shot of the General tab:

upload_2019-11-2_14-33-45.png

As you can see similar, but different so we should bear this in mind when comparing the 'setup' of FTM in Windows or Mac versions. I believe the program likely works in the same way otherwise.

As I say even though 'automatically backup family file' is ticked this does not appear to affect the program closure whichever option I use to close, despite finding the same explanation as shown by Helen, using the Help option.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  3. At home in NZ

At home in NZ LostCousins Member

Bob

I'm still on FTM 2017 but it sounds as though the Options might still be the same.
    I went to FTM Help that you access from Help then choose Help for Family Tree Maker.
    This is in the General tab of the Options:

Automatically backup family file

Makes a backup file of your tree each time you exit Family Tree Maker. The backup file is created in the default directory and is given the tree name followed by "_AutoBackup.ftmb" (for example: "G G Boggs Family_AutoBackup.ftmb").

Note: Media files are not included in the backup file.

Hope that helps.

I was writing this at the same time as the previous item,. Sometimes one can;'t keep up!

4. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Star

I received an email from MacKiev this evening offering a free upgrade to FTM 2019, promising to clear the 'orange' status problem and enable FamilySearch features. I have installed this upgrade and now have a 'green' status for the first time in weeks. Hopefully others are also receiving this upgrade, which does seem to fix this problem.

5. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Member

I received the e-mail this morning but just had time now to install it. I am also seeing green. :)

6. At home in NZ

At home in NZ LostCousins Member

Found this in the McKiev site:

NOTE FOR FTM 2017 USERS
    Only FTM 2019 will be returning to normal sync weather conditions, after applying the free 24.0.1 update. We are working hard to complete a similar update for FTM 2017 users so you too can get back to green weather, which will take at least a few more weeks.

I will be patient..................

7. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Member

Also back to green!

8. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Star

I am in the process of starting - note starting - to follow instructions to get my update (I was too busy yesterday). Never mind about getting a Green sync, I have to go through all shades of RED frustrations just to achieve the free update, after bypassing this and that, and this and that additional feature. (The same ones ignored times before). I know I have commented on this before but MacKiev really take the biscuit when it comes to getting you where you need to be to download with a cloak and dagger routine that I find very irritating. Then when you actually get to download, you have the warnings that you must have backed up all previous Trees, even though some are only used occasionally. Are all my Trees backed up (some are used infrequently)? Can't remember unless automatically backed up as referred to in previous postings.

I will therefore do as instructed but am I the only one who dreads having to go through a MacKiev update routine? It seem so as no one else mentions it. In my world one accepts updates with the click of a mouse on a link which then installs- Simples!

Well it completed and surprise surprise I get a FREE one year Tree Vault Service subscription as before, which I doubt I will need or use. Time to Sync (or swim);)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Star

I know what you mean, all the advertising is irritating. I just click through the screens and ignore all the ads. The backups are just belt and braces as far as I can see, so people won't complain to them if things go wrong when doing the update.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Member

Yes, all that advertising is annoying, but as the previous posters have already said, I just keep clicking next and eventually get to where I need to be. I am just happy to see green again.