1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Some new members aren't following the advice on posting links - please read it!
  3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. Both the main LostCousins site and this forum have been upgraded to that you can log-in securely. If you are not automatically taken to the secure site simply add https:// at the beginning of the URL.
  5. Guest - have you tested your DNA with Ancestry? Do you have English or Welsh ancestors, and do you know which counties most of them came from? If so please take part in my project by completing the NEW spreadsheet and uploading the results
  6. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join please register NOW!

FTM 2019 incoming

Discussion in 'Family Tree Maker' started by jorghes, May 16, 2019.

1. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Member

For those interested - FTM is updating soon to a new version, and offering a 3 day 50% off upgrade offer that you can find here.

The Australia version came out as $45 for the upgrade (usual upgrade price of $89.95) so a pretty good deal.

I can't find a link to the nice outline of their new tools - but in general it seems to include:
    1. Keeping track of 1000 changes in order to be able to revert when mistakes are made
    2. More integration with FamilySearch
    3. Hints into the index
    4. Smart filters - i.e. it will add records that match your criteria into the filtered lists without you having to refilter the information (I like this idea!)
    5. Folders which tell you how many documents are in each folder
    6. Seemingly automatic profile photo creation.
    7. Search enabled across more than one tree (?) Not sure about where the other trees come from!
    8. Rich Colour Coding... presumably you can now have more than a four colour set
    9. "TreeVault" - online app access to your tree - with "Emergency Tree" for restoration; "FTM Connect" the app; "Historical Weather" - to find out what the weather was like in the past, and a "Next of Kin" feature (in order to be able to pass on your FTM program and license)

2. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Star

Yes, I've signed up for this - it's £30 in the UK. I am particularly interested in the smart filters (point 4 in the list) as I find the filters useful but annoying having to regenerate when you update a tree. The 'turn back time' over 1000 changes looks potentially useful too.

I think point 7 means you can search for a name across all your trees, whereas at present the search is only in the 'active' tree in FTM.

3. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Member

I did the pre-order as well. It is 39.95 in Canada. I think the regular upgrade is $79.95. The TreeVault is only free for the first year; after that, it is $30/year.

4. jorghes

Oh I definitely pre-ordered as well - Tree Vault looks to be $20 a year in Australia after the initial "free" period.

5. AdrienneQ

AdrienneQ Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for the heads up, I have just placed my order. I had somehow missed the email when it came in.

6. jorghes

I found mine in the end... in the junk folder.

7. CarolB08

CarolB08 LostCousins Member

I think I must be the only person to have decided that the new version is not something to interest me, I am happy with the current 2017 version despite the atractive price for the upgrade :)

8. jorghes

Nothing wrong with that! I like the current version, but then some of the tools I use will be even easier (I use a lot of filtered lists) in the newer version.

9. CarolB08

CarolB08 LostCousins Member

I suspect that I have only scratched the surface of what the software can do but I find the bits I do know easy to use and navigate, there may come a time when I do decide to upgrade but not right now. :)