1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

FTA and FH5

Discussion in 'Family Tree Analyzer' started by john46, Sep 8, 2013.

1. john46

john46 LostCousins Member

Tim, I have FH5 and have tried to run it but have lots of problems
    John

2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Hi John,

Thanks for responding. Can you list the problems you're getting please?
    Has the FTA software downloaded ok?
    Have you been able to export a gedcom from FH5?
    Have you been able to open the gedcom in FTA?

Have you been able to create a Lost Cousins Fact in FH5?
    Do you have Census or Residence Facts in your tree?
    Are the reports not working as you think they should?

3. john46

Tim did you get my last message as it seems to have disappeared into the ether
    John

4. Tim

No, sorry, can you resend please?

5. john46

Tim.may I first say how wonderful this this forum will be and in particular all the hard work that has gone into it !! in answer to the question yes to most of it, but not knowing what the full outcome is,would it be easier to send gedcoms in the FTA stats it says on one 272 sources 5 parses ind 2987 fam 864 DA 1 blood r 419 marr to blood 165 rel 1081 unk 1321 cens 543 and the other 541 sources 12 parses ind 6366 fam 1846 DA 1 blood r 638 marr 313 rel 2759 unk 2655 cens 266 most of the census page is red with a few green and yellow
    John

6. Tim

Hi John,

If you want to send a gedcom then PM it straight to me. You will need to zip the file before you send it.
    The stats you quoted look ok, having only 1 Direct Ancestor seems a little on the low side.

The parses are issues that you can look at to fix, using the data errors tab will help with that.

Have you managed to create a Lost Cousins fact in FH5?

7. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Only 1 Direct Ancestor suggests that the root person is wrong. Can you check the load screen to see who it says is the root person. Typically this should be yourself.

8. Tim

That makes sense.

John, you can change the root person in FTA by right-clicking on a person in the Individuals tab.

9. john46

The reason that I have only 1 Direct Ancestor is that I leave it on my earliest Ancestor, and that tells me how any person is related,
    John
    ps how do I send a file to someone,I know that it needs to be a zip but there does not seem to be a way to place it into the message

10. Alexander Bisset

New members don't have attachment rights by default which is why you can't see how to upload an attachment. I'll send you a PM with my email address (I'm the author of FTAnalyzer) and you could send the file to me so I can understand and address your issue.

In FTAnalyzer if you select yourself in the list of people in the individuals tab then the program will be able to correctly identify all your direct ancestors and blood relations. At present the vast majority of the people in your file are being ignored on most reports as they are not related to the furthest back ancestor you happen to have picked as the root individual so all you are seeing is who is related to him/her and not what you should see ie: who is related to you.

11. Norman

Norman LostCousins Member

It's not just new members who can't attach files to messages in conversations. I couldn't when I needed to send you something, if you remember.

12. john46

Thanks, Alexander, can you tell me, do I have to in my FH5 have to put a lost cousin fact against every person that has a census entry, and then keep adding them for every census year,as I have been playing with it and that seems to turn it orange, but still tells me it is flagged but no census entry,when I know it is, but others that I have in green say census entered but not a lost cousins year and I have not entered a lost cousin fact and then yellow census entered but no lost cousin flag set again with no lost cousin fact
    John

13. Tim

Apparently, .ged files can now be attached directly, there is no need to zip.

14. Alexander Bisset

Hmmm we may need to check the settings for "Lost Cousins Member" status, you should be able to in most forums. Or perhaps you still had a New Member at the time? Are you still prevented from attaching a file to a post at present?

15. Alexander Bisset

There are two distinct facts in use here:
    • A CENSus fact - this tells the program you have found the person on a census (NB. this is a RESIdence fact in some programs hence the option)
    • A Lost Cousins fact - this tells the program you have entered the person onto the Lost Cousins website.
    Can you send me a sample GEDCOM showing the person that is "orange" but you believe should be green please? You have my email address via Private Message.

16. sheelak

sheelak LostCousins Member

I use Family Historian. I have only just started adding my family tree on to the program. I downloaded my gedcom family tree from Genesreunited. That was a very basic family tree but I found no problems with downloading it on to Family Historian.

Thank you for the FT Analyzer program. So far I have only used it to correct dating errors but it is a very useful tool. The only problem I have found is where to put the details about Census entries on Family Historian so that I can link it to LostCousins. I have put some in "Facts" but it shows on the FT Analyzer that no entries have been made.

17. Norman

Norman LostCousins Member

I can upload a file in a message in a discussion (post) but can't attach a file to message in a conversation (PM). That's why you had to provide me with your email address when we had the discussion regarding the sources problem in FTM2012.

By the way, did you get very far with the solution to the problem? I have over 2500 "unattached" sources in my database and these get put into my GEDCOMS.

18. Tim

Hi Sheelak,

This discussion is about establishing a way in Family Historian to add Census and Lost Cousins Facts. With yours and John46's help, I can then update the documentation on the website.

So, for FTA to really work for you, the exported gedcom file needs to contain a Lost Cousins fact and either a Census Fact or a Residence Fact.

Have either of you been able to create these in FH?

You can check the gedcom file yourselves. If you open Windows Explorer and right click on the gedcom file, and select Open With Notepad. You can then search for a CENS or RESI fact and also Lost Cousins by using CRTL+F.

This is how the entries should look.
    Code:
    1 EVEN
    2 TYPE Lost Cousins
    2 DATE 1911
    Code:
    1 RESI Age: 50
    2 DATE 1841
    2 PLAC Childwall, Lancashire, England

19. john46

Tim/Alexander, still have no way to send gedcom as still no way to put it in and still have not found email adresses in PM messages
    John

20. Tim

I've sent you a PM, have you got it?