1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

FT Analyzer. Thanks

Discussion in 'Family Tree Analyzer' started by Jan, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Jan

Jan LostCousins Member

Thanks very much for the link to FT Analyzer.I have been going through all my 3000+ FT members to see who isn't on Lost Cousins and writing them down! Now I can find them at the click of a button as well as lots of other useful information!
    Many Thanks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

If you use the Lost Cousins Census Report button you can select "Yellow" from the filter to list them all in one report then print that off.

3. Jan

Jan LostCousins Member

Thanks Alexander.I have worked that out now and have just printed the report .However, how do I "tag the census" to show that it is entered in Lost Cousins?

4. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Hi Jan,

What FT Software do you use? You have to create a custom Fact in your FT software, and then this new Fact also gets exported with the gedcom and is used by FTAnalyzer to colour the boxes in the Lost Cousins report correctly.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Jan

Jan LostCousins Member

Hi Tim
    I use Family Tree Maker and had already had a look at creating a fact but found it a bit confusing!! I'll have another look now & work it out.

6. Alexander Bisset

Family Tree Maker is what I use. It is simple. Click on the menu Edit and select "Manage Facts". in the box that pops up click New and give the fact the name Lost Cousins. Click on the short name box to make the OK button work, and click OK. You have now created a Lost Cousins fact.

Now you can add that fact to people in your tree, the only data you need enter is the census year eg: 1881. You need the year as it is possible to have someone appear on several Lost Cousins census years eg: 1841, 1881, 1901.

That's all the new facts will be automatically exported in your next GEDCOM export.

7. Tim

Also, if you click on the Customise View button in the bottom right hand corner of the Family Screen, you can add the Lost Cousins fact so that its displayed along with Births and Marriages.

8. Jan

Jan LostCousins Member

Thanks Tim & Alexander.
    That is a lot easier than the way I tried it!
    That is my job for tomorrow.

9. Tim

:)

There is also a Documentation/Help Section that can be found here.

10. Jan

Jan LostCousins Member

Help please!
    I have done the Editing and Customizing bit and entered 30+ LC entries into my FTM.
    Why it is when checking to see if it has worked, only 4 of the people entered appear in orange in the Lost Cousins census reports?
    I entered them all in exactly the same way.

11. Alexander Bisset

Orange is bad. Orange means you have a Lost Cousins fact but you haven't tagged them as having a census. I guess the rest of them are green indicating you have both a census and a Lost Cousins fact?

12. Jan

Jan LostCousins Member

Thanks Alexander
    Sorry, I had got that wrong and got a bit confused with the colours!
    So, if 1841,1881 and/or 1911 are green,it means they are eneterd on the LC website!
    If those colours are yellow,census is entered in LC website but not tagged in FTM?
    Most of the ones I entered are green but some are still yellow!I think I'll have to start again.

Sorry to be slow on the uptake!

13. Alexander Bisset

Red=no census
    Orange=Lost Cousins tag, no census
    Yellow=census tag, no Lost Cousins tag
    Green=both tags entered (or census entered and not a Lost Cousins year).

Note the program can't tell if you have entered anything into Lost Cousins website or not it can only read the tag you enter.

14. Jan

Jan LostCousins Member

Much clearer!
    Thank you.

15. AnneC

AnneC LostCousins Star

Might this be a future addition, the ability to link to LC to check what you've entered?

16. Jan

Jan LostCousins Member

Still having problems.
    In FTM I have created tags for Lost Cousins,3 one for each year if the census, but the names are still showing up yellow on the Lost Cousins report!
    There must be something obvious that I am doing wrong!
    Help please.

17. Tim

Hi Jan,

Can you find the Lost Cousins entry in the gedcom file? If yes, can you post the lines you fine here? There should be 3 of them.

18. Jan

Jan LostCousins Member

Hi Tim
    I think I have cracked it! Last night I got so fed up with it that I deleted all the 3 LC facts along with the 90 entries I had made and started all over again!
    It worked or it seemed to after checking a few entries. However I only entered one LC fact.The only thing I am not sure of now is how to enter the 1841,1881 & 1911 years.Separately or in the format 1841-1881? I use FTM 2012.
    Thanks for all your help.

19. Norman

Norman LostCousins Member

Just add the LC fact 3 times each with a different year. Although most date facts are more usually entered only once, like "Birth" or "Death" a person can have several "Marriage" dates.

20. Tim

Hi Jan,

Yes, as Norman just said, on a person I've entered on Lost Cousins, I add a new Fact, select custom, add the Lost Cousins fact and add 1881 for example. If I've also added this person to 1911, then I go through exactly the same steps but this time add the date 1911.