1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Do you Still Send Christmas Cards?

Discussion in 'Comments on the latest newsletter' started by Tim, Nov 27, 2014.

1. Liberty

Liberty LostCousins Megastar

Bob (since we have the sport of picking up your typos and errors) I doubt that in your RAF days you would have had a fiancé. Times change as we all know, but I bet you were ringing your fiancée.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Liberty

I've had experience (on the receiving end) of that inability to calculate which way the time difference goes. It was amplified in our case by our moving from several hours ahead of UK to several hours behind. Some members of our family seemed not to grasp that we had changed zones. And the knack of finding a time slot when to ring, such as before 6 p.m. our time to catch mother-in-law before she went to bed.
    One of the memories that sticks is a young man in Australia who was diligently working out the time difference to/from the UK. He was doing extremely well, factoring in the fact that we in Melbourne were on (summer) Daylight Saving Time, until he asked me in all seriousness if Britain was also on Daylight Saving. I think was polite as I pointed out that it was currently mid-winter in the UK so no, they weren't on British Summer Time.

3. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

It's a bit like tourists coming to Finland in midwinter to see the Midnight sun.

4. Liberty

Brilliant!!

5. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

All I can say in my defence is that I did think to check it in my pocket oxford dictionary, mainly to get the accent right, but failed to notice the (fem~ee) bit. Suitably chastised.

6. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

There was a bit about Christmas cards on the BBC news this morning. Apparently in the UK we send more Christmas cards per head of population than any other country in the world. Also, cards are often the only handwritten things sent by post thse days which may be why people look forward to receiving them.

7. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Hmm, interesting. I wonder if the British have more far-flung relatives and friends than other people. Also, I think the custom of sending Christmas cards started in England, so that may have something to do with it. Anyhow, I've just received yet another round robin full of brilliant grandchildren. :rolleyes:

8. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

And what about the amazing overseas trips???

• Agree Agree x 1