1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Do you Still Send Christmas Cards?

Discussion in 'Comments on the latest newsletter' started by Tim, Nov 27, 2014.

1. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

I agree, Carla. What DOES one say. That's one reason why electronic cards often end up taking so long to send - because I can't bear the thought that recipients think they're all getting the same one at a click on the Send button. At least the messages (some, if not all) should be personal. By the way, I'm terribly disappointed in Jacquie Lawson's Christmas selection this year. Perhaps there's still time for a lovely atmospheric one. At least I've written to them to suggest it.

2. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

Following on from my previous post, I did go to the local post office, they only had one packet of "Aussie" cards left and they were rather ordinary featuring cartoon Koalas' wearing Santa hats - cute enough, I suppose but the quality was poor and they were made in China.

3. Margery

I have a Christmas brain teaser (though no match for Bob's offering): What two words are normally printed on Christmas gift tags?

4. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

I had the same thought when I looked at some "Greetings from Canada" cards today, decided in the end I'd go for a plain card instead.
    Why is it that in general I can never find exactly the right illustration and sentiment in a ready made card? Country neighbours in their early 70's have down sized from a house to a flat which is a big move for them as they are giving up a lovely garden and a workshop. I wanted to send a card as I haven't seen them recently but every card I found was inappropriate, all featured fanciful renditions of houses and were aimed at the first time house owner.

5. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

It does depend on what is printed inside the card, so taking that into consideration, this year it's something along the lines of .... " We send you all our love and best wishes at this special time of the year, hoping that this finds you and your family well and happy" I can't see the point of writing just "From ......" under the card's words, it feels too cold for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Surely it's "To" and "From" Margery

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

One of the reasons my wife does the cards -apart from my pretty awful handwriting - is I too tend to write a novel, well all right novella:p on the left of the card. Can't help myself, 'going round the houses to get to next door' as my dear mother would have said (and many in the Forum will agree) is plain and simply just me!

Joking aside I agree with you Carla just adding the name of the addressee and then your own with perhaps a couple of kisses (XX) seems giving short change. Even so that is what 90% of people do and my wife and I once witnessed a friend -who we happened to be visiting as she was writing out her cards - say you may as well have yours which she had dashed off in seconds. She was even relieved (and told us so) not to have to address the envelope. (Saving on postage did not come into it as she was only a few doors down the road).

"Bah" and "Humbug" as Ebinizer Scrooge would have said seems appropriate.:confused:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Bob Spiers

I can recommend Jacqui Lawson's 'Santa's Surprise' which as the caption says, "not so much an e-card, more a smashing game" because it is very (very) addictive. I know this because my wife received one last week and has played it daily since, and I think has now saved it to her desktop. Not quite the answer to the point you are making, but providing the recipient is not allergic to even the simplest of game playing (as this is) they will get a lot of enjoyment out of playing the game. The Christmas Greenhouse card is quite spectacular too and afterwards offers a Jig saw puzzle and allows you to select the number of pieces.

Preview both for yourself on the JL site and see what I mean. (Incidentally the Ball Game just below which is intended as a Birthday Card is similar to Santa's Surprise but this time played with a variety of different balls, if you pardon the expression)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  9. Margery

Of cou
    Of course you are right Heather. But it did fool quite a few people at a recent trivia night!

10. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

I agree, Bob, that Santa's Surprise is fun and also that the Christmas Greenhouse is spectacular (except that the music from the Nutcracker Suite has been used for so many other cards). But I still wish there was a card along the lines of o Holy Night, Shining Star, Midnight Clear, Twelve Days of Christmas and Silent Night of previous years. Sorry about being such a grouse; I'm not normally. Put it down to disappointment.

11. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Yes, I wish I'd kept the Advent Calender on my computer from 2012; disappoointed with this season's offering:( My grandchildren loved the 2012 one.

12. Bob Spiers

Quite understand Gillian, when you look for something that does not come up to expectation, disappointment kicks in and having a grouse gets it out of your system and you feel better. (For you) Hyvää joulua

13. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Gosh Bob! Thanks. Now that WAS a surprise. :) Hyvää joulua sinullekin!!! (do you understand the last word?)

14. Bob Spiers

Yes, well actually no but my trusty Finish/English translator does - 'to you'. (For the benefit of others I sent Happy Christmas in Finnish and Gillian returned the compliment adding to you).

Takes me back actually to my timber trade days and occasional visits to Finland in the 1980's and even more trying to translate Finnish Bills of Lading for 'wood goods' (puun tavarat'). Unlike Sweden (also visited) where English was then and I am sure now widely spoken, in Finland it was Finnish (or perhaps Swedish) or nothing. Luckily in the hotels and when being shown around manufacturing units there was always someone on hand to speak English or translate.

I tried to learn the basics (my own company even provided a handbook of stock Finnish phrases) but pronunciations and inflexions were just impossible to master. I still remember the country with affection mind and have posted previously about my visit to a lakeside sauna.;)

15. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Times have changed, Bob. Today it would be difficult to find someone who doesn't speak English. This is illustrated by a Scottish friend of mine, who remembers how, in the old days, if you asked someone if they spoke English, they'd go all shy, look down, and whisper: "Yes, a little". However, on his most recent visit to Finland he asked the same question and got the reply, with eye contact: "Of course"!!! When I first came to Finland (as a Finn-Brit teacher with the British Council in 1961) I managed with German. That would be impossible nowadays.

16. GrahamC

GrahamC LostCousins Member

Gillian? Don't you think it's sad in a way that in so many countries people are finding it necessary to learn English? I wonder how long it will be before Finnish (and Swedish and Lithuanian and Danish and etc.) are completely replaced by English (or American).

17. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Yes, I do think it's sad, and very much so, particularly when so many other languages are now taught in only a few schools here in Finland. English reigns supreme. It has even overtaken Swedish, which is the country's second official language for historical reasons. Still, I don't think it will ever replace Finnish. The literature and culture as a whole are far too strong. I'm sure the same is true of the other countries you mention. I only hope I'm right. However, as they say: the most commonly spoken language in the world is "Bad English".

18. Bob Spiers

In the Swedish Nationalencyklopedin (2007-2010) they show estimates of languages spoken by number of native speakers. In first place is Mandarin Chinese accounts for about 14.4% of the worlds population (955m(million); second place Spanish for about 6.15% (405m), then third place English approx. 5.43% (360m).

Then in order (showing just percentages) comes Hindi (4.7%); Arabic (4.43%); Portuguese (3.27%); Bengali (3.11%); Russian (2.33%). Those at 1%+ (in descending order) Japanese; Punjabi; German; Javanese; Wu (China); Malay/Indonesian; Telugu (India); Vietnamese; Korean; French*; Marathi (India); Tamil (India). After that far too many to name but you see find them here: native speakers as well as a link to endangered languages

*Surprising to see French (with 74m) only accounts for 1.12% of native speakers although if you check amongst endangered languages there are quite a few French dialect variable languages listed.

The six official languages of the United Nations are: ARABIC, CHINESE, ENGLISH, FRENCH, RUSSIAN & SPANISH

In the past the traditional languages taught in schools (in the UK) were French, Spanish & German. (I, for instance, learned French, my wife Spanish not that either of us ever progressed much beyond the 'la plume de ma tante' stage or whatever the Spanish equivalent). But the British - perhaps as a legacy of our 'Rule Britannia' past -still thought it was the place of 'foreigners' to speak our language rather than for us to learn theirs.

I read currently the government is trying to expand the range of languages taught to include Arabic, Mandarin & Urdu, and Mandarin is predicted to become the second most popular foreign language learned in UK schools.

So although we British like to think the English language is taking over the world -helped in large part of course by being spoken in North America(as US English), Canada, Australia, Ireland, New Zealand and most of the Commonwealth of Nations - and the adopted language of the air (spoken by Pilots) and at Sea - in truth it shares just third place. Currently the English language is the dominant choice as a second 'foreign' language (even in China) which no doubt will cause it to keep its third place. Even so I would take no bets that perhaps in very short time it will be overtaken by Hindi and Arabic whilst Mandarin Chinese will forever reign supreme as the dominant language of the world.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  19. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Interesting Bob:) but on what basis do you suppose Hindi and Arabic will overtake English....population?

(And do they send Christmas cards?)

20. Bob Spiers

I thought I sent you out to play, but no doubt you came in out of the rain?;).

However to answer your question Emjay, yes, undoubtedly it will be population growth although ELF (English Lingua Franco -see my next post) may play a part in keeping the English language ahead. But that aside we are speaking of the population expansion in India and that of the generic area of Arabia. There is really no context in the long term.

Well at least that brings us back on topic. Not being terribly au fait with Hindu and Arabic customs or auspicious dates in their respective religious calendars I can only conclude that Christmas Cards are unlikely to feature, and certainly none with snow and robins.

• Agree Agree x 1