1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Curiosity got the better of me

Discussion in 'How I got started in Family History' started by DJC44, Oct 31, 2019.

1. DJC44

DJC44 LostCousins Member

When my mother died, curiosity got the better of me when I found a note with her grandparents names, I then realized that I knew very little about my ancestors. apart from my Maternal grandparents. I was also aware of my Maternal grandfather's sister, who I knew served as a nursing sister with the FFNC during WW1, working behind the French Front lines. I have since found out a great deal about her and I have her medals. I followed my Maternal lines back to the 1600's. However I knew very little of my father's family. I remembered visiting a sister in the 1950's in Leamington Spa, and an aunt visiting, but who they were I had no idea.I know now. My Dad once said that he thought his mother was a Romany, but he was unsure, as she died when he was 6 months old, and he didn't get on at all with his father, whose line I have traced to the mid 1700's His Mother however has been a complete mystery to me. Her marriage certificate to my Grandfather shows both her parents names, but I can find no record of a marriage or of any Birth information for her or her parents. I believe that I have found my grandmother's parents in the 1911 census, but by then her daughter(my grandmother) had died, and there appears to be no record of any of them in the 1901 census. Since taking a DNA test with Ancestry, and having the only 1st cousin I know from my Paternal line take a test, I have managed to identify a few possible leads, but again I hit a brick wall, as there appears to be no birth or census information, but the leads take me back to the Colchester area of Essex. I am at a loss to know where I can go from here

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  2. Susan48

Susan48 LostCousins Superstar

Welcome to the Forum DJC44. Just a thought about Colchester - there was a sizeable barracks there, so could your father's mother have come from an army family who would have moved around? Does the 1911 census give an occupation for your grandmother's father? Have you tried searching for the surname on Seax, the Essex Record Office's online catalogue? My paternal ancestors were from the Colchester area and I've found a number of relevant documents through Seax. Hope this helps.

3. DJC44

DJC44 LostCousins Member

Thank you Susan for your response. I have already explored the avenue that my Great grandfather may have been a Soldier. Unfortunately my Grandmother died in 1909, so I have no listing for her in the 1911 Census. Her father is shown as a licensed Hawker on her wedding certificate, and the only licensed hawker with the correct details is shown in a boarding house in Chesterfield. I believe that his wife and children were still in Warwick. This is where the Colchester connection comes from, as she and 2 of her daughters are listed as being born in Colchester. Her occupation is given as Needle work. From copies of the Midland Trade Index, they appear to have settled into Warwick staying at the same address for a number of years.

New subject I have a number of transcripts of Parish records from the area between Ipswich and Felixstowe, I also have transcripts from Oxfordshire, Gloucestershire and Berkshire. Should anyone need a look up. Dave

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  4. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

If you haven't already done so, please post this offer in the More resources forum for each county - that way your kind offer will reach the members who have ancestors from those counties. And if you can be specific about parishes and periods of coverage it'll save a lot of time and avoid disappointment.

5. DJC44

DJC44 LostCousins Member