1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Carrying on where my mother left off

Discussion in 'How I got started in Family History' started by SueMay, Nov 1, 2019.

1. SueMay

SueMay LostCousins Member

It's always interesting how as youngsters we were never really interested in our ancestors even though our grandparents and parents tried hard to tell us all aobut them. It is only later that we then regret having not paid attention at the time. During the 1970's my mother, while still living in South Africa, started researching both her and my father's ancestors. At the time there wasn't the internet and after speaking with family, borrowing photos to make copies, reading old letters, etc. she then approached museums, records departments, etc. When my parents divorced in the mid 1980's she gave each of her four children a folder with copies of all the research she'd done. I am the only daughter and don't know what my brother's did with theirs but mine followed me as life took it course and when I married my husband in 1999 (almost 30 years later!) I decided to take a look at it and transfer all the information onto a specially designed genealogy program. Well, the rest is history... I was hooked and have since added many, many more ancestors which I'm sure she would've found very interesting. I am now the one everyone turns to when they need to know anything about the family. I've even helped many of my nephews, neices and cousin's children with school projects.

2. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

Welcome to the forum, SueMay. Sounds like you got a great head start with your mother's research!

3. SueMay

SueMay LostCousins Member

Thank you for the welcome. Yes, she made a good start which I was most grateful for. Trouble is I'm now quite addicted to it. I also love helping others and I'm busy helping my husband's half sister find out more about her mother's ancestors at the moment.