1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

By Marriage or Blood relation

Discussion in 'Family Tree Analyzer' started by Doreen, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Doreen

Doreen LostCousins Star

Less than a week ago, I posted about using FTA and mentioned that the "Show Missing From Census" for UK 1911 brought up 1,081 names for me -- I was more than a little overwhelmed at the work ahead of me. After a lot of hours and the use of the colour census report, and now with this added filter, my list is down to 583 individuals - yahoo! But I do have one question -- one of my blood relatives (both 1881 & 1911 census on LC) and her family shows up as "related by marriage" and not as a blood relative. I have double and triple checked and cannot see what I have entered wrong that she shows up only there. That particular report only brings up 8 names, 6 of which is this particular family. Can you perhaps let me know what to look for in my entries to fix this? Thanks again for a great program!

2. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

When you first load your tree Doreen it will tell you who it thinks the "root person" is. This is taken from your file and is how your family history program has set up the root person. All of the relationships are calculated from the root person. Most often this root person will be yourself. If a different person is set as the root the the relationships will be wrong. You can change the root person either by changing it in your family history program which will then set it as the new person every time you export the file in future. Or you can change it each time you load the file into FTAnalyzer by clicking on the individuals tab finding the person, right clicking and selecting set as root person. It will then tell you its changed the root person for this session only to that new person.

3. Doreen

Doreen LostCousins Star

Thank-you for your quick response. Yes, I discovered this 'root person' last week and now use myself. This particular family of 6 is the only family that is 'out of whack' and I cannot figure out why. She shows up as a blood relative on my LC entry, but as a 'by marriage' on the colour census report. I like to solve puzzles, but I just can't figure out what I've entered incorrectly to make her show up on this report rather than the blood relative report.

4. Alexander Bisset

Ah so you are saying that she has a different relation type on different FTAnalyzer reports? That shouldn't be possible so yes it is a puzzle. Can you tell me exactly the steps you take to open each report and I'll see if I can work out why its different.

5. Doreen

Doreen LostCousins Star

No, she shows up as "By Marriage" on all the FTA reports, but she's entered in LC as a blood relative.

6. Alexander Bisset

Ok well the Lost Cousins website shows what you selected when you entered her onto the website. I'm guessing that if FTAnalyzer says its a by marriage relationship then that's right if you have selected the right root person? If so then you just need to edit the relationship on the Lost Cousins website to fix the discrepancy.

7. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Are you able to trace yourself back to this person if you visually look at a tree?
    Also most FHS allow you to run a relationship report, so what does your FHS think your relation is?

8. Doreen

Doreen LostCousins Star

1st cousins 3 times removed

9. Tim

Strange, that's not a difficult one to work out. Can you check to see if you have duplicates? One of them linked in and the other not?

10. Doreen

Doreen LostCousins Star

Tim, I've narrowed the problem down to being with the mother of this relative -- rather than "married to blood or direct", the mom shows up as "related by marriage", and I cannot see any difference in her FH entry than any other.

11. Tim

Then the issue must be with her husband?

12. Doreen

Doreen LostCousins Star

Relationship calculator shows him as my second greatgrand uncle

13. Alexander Bisset

Is he showing as a blood relative in FTAnalyzer? What is his relationship showing as in FTAnalyzer? Is it correctly showing 2nd great granduncle, and blood relative?

14. Doreen

Doreen LostCousins Star

Ah, I think I know what's going on - he is shown as 'married to direct/blood' -- his second marriage was to his brother's wife, who is my gr-gr-grandmother! Now it's starting to make sense. Is there anything I should change or is that just the way he is going to show up. The marriages are in the correct order in my tree.

15. Tim

Then he is only related by marriage then? Assuming you are from your gr-gr-grandmother and a different husband?

16. Doreen

Doreen LostCousins Star

He's related both ways -- he's my gr-gr-grandfather's brother. Then he married my gr-gr-grandfather's wife later in life when they were both widowed.

17. Tim

Related by Blood and related by marriage. Maybe its just the way it climbs back up the tree to calculate the relationship?

18. Alexander Bisset

In theory it should do blood relations first and only set to married if he didn't have a relation type already. It would be interesting to see a snippet of the GEDCOM that had the relevant participants so I could see how it was calculating the relationships. Re-marriages like this you typically want to have the strongest relationship as the default.

19. Doreen

Doreen LostCousins Star

Thanks for helping me work through this - now it makes sense :)

20. Tim

It was fun :)