1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Ancestry Matches 7cM and less

Discussion in 'DNA Questions and Answers' started by Andrew Lloyd, Jul 15, 2020.

1. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

They may have found out all they wanted to know. - some people just want to confirm a family story.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

There is an option to a 'Hide' a specific match and, I think, doing so removes you from that match's list too. Also, you can opt out of matching altogether which likewise removes you from any list in which you are shown as a match. So if one of your matches uses one of these options it will reduce the number of matches in your list.

3. Pauline

It would seem so - the number of shared segments has now reduced on my matches. For instance, earlier this week I shared 52 segments with my sister and now it is only 42.

4. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

Ah yes, now my husband and I only share 33 and 26 segments with our son, whereas previously it was 87 and 79 respectively.

5. Andrew Lloyd

Andrew Lloyd LostCousins Star

Well spotted.
    Similarly with my close matches. I had a coloured grouping which consisted entirely of low level matches with more than one segment because I was worried about losing some. Some of the entries in this group now show just 1 segment, but the total number of cMs hasn't changed so a match that was previously 8.8 across 2 segments is now 8.8 across 1 segment. So probably needn't have worried after all.

6. peter

Yes, part of the update will be consolidating small segments which were previously split because an isolated SNP was misread. It's only the removal of the <8cM matches that has been deferred to 'late August'.

7. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Can I just say - hopefully not treading on too many toes - this is without doubt the most boring topic being aired in the Forum. I am even upset with myself for becoming its 147th contributor. But there is a solution I should have taken long ago and that is to 'Unfollow' and leave you all bemoaning worries that will all all end as a storm in a teacup. :confused::eek::( Sorry !

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Andrew Lloyd

I stand corrected.

9. Pauline

I've had a total of 25 new matches in the last 7 days, including some yesterday and this morning, 10 of which are under 8cM.

10. Andrew Lloyd

Similar - hence my apology!

11. Pauline

My DNA matches are now showing the size of the longest shared segment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Pauline

Following on from what I wrote earlier, I was checking out a new match with whom I share 28 cM across 2 segments, and was surprised to see that the longest segment is shown as 27 cM.

Even allowing for one being rounded up and the other down, the second segment must be very short and I'm quite surprised it has been included.

13. Chris from Stansted

Chris from Stansted Genealogy in the Sunshine 2015

My matches are also showing longest segment. Could anybody explain why I have a shared match that is shorter then the longest

Shared DNA: 7.5 cM across 1 segments
    Longest Segment: 15 cM

14. Chris from Stansted

Is this because Ancestry has adjusted the length of shared DNA to reflect that DNA can be shared for other reasons. Ancestry has reduced the reported shared match value from 15 to 7.5cM. This could explain why other sites give a higher value for a match then AncestryDNA.

15. Chris from Stansted

It is likely that the two segments are both over 6cM but have been adjusted down with one of them having been previously reduced from 28cM.

16. Charles

Charles LostCousins Member

I checked my top 48 matches and many of those with a single segment had a longest segment that was larger than the total shared segment (19 in total meet that criteria).
    The largest discrepancies were
    shared DNA 49cM and longest segment 60cM
    shared DNA 48cM and longest segment 59cM
    shared DNA 38cM and longest segment 50cM

I also have cases where longest segment would mean that other segments are 3-4cM in length

I think they must be using different criteria for shared DNA and longest DNA segment

17. PhilGee

PhilGee LostCousins Member

Could it be that Ancestry are looking at all the shared matches and showing the longest matching segment of the overlapping matches rather than the match being looked at?

To illustrate what I mean, the image is showing the segments for two matches (from MyHeritage). One is 36cM (though Ancestry have 17cM due to different algorithms), the other 27.4cM.

Screenshot.png

18. Chris from Stansted

I have a match with “xyz” of 24cM across 1 segment and a longest length of 49cM. Looking at all my shared matches with “xyz”, I have 49cM as the longest length for each of these shared matches with “xyz”, the shared match ranges from 44cM to 22 cM. This is the case with all my matches with 1 segment shared. Triangulation would also yield the same results.

19. peter

It's not just Shared Matches - it's a general issue. It may be that there are two systems which are currently out of sync - one of the changes in this upgrade involves segments which were previously regarded as separate are being joined together, and in some cases this could mean incorporating a smaller section in the middle that was previously ignored.

EDIT: I've emailed Ancestry just in case they're not aware of the issue.

20. Charles

Charles LostCousins Member

Yes - but the shared segments have already been updated or do you mean that those with a single segment have not been updated?