1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Absent parents - Who am I?

Discussion in 'How I got started in Family History' started by Tomb, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Tomb

Tomb LostCousins Member

I and my two sisters lost our mother to meningitis on the last day of December, 1941, in Rugby, Warwickshire. I was just over two years old, Grace our maiden aunt stepped into the breach and in 1947 she took we children out to Singapore to join our father. Grace found the tropics unbearable, and took us to the cooler climes of Melbourne, Australia. Our father’s lucrative job in Singapore financed our formative years at boarding school and we only saw him on leave every three years. With no other family in Melbourne and no contact with any of our parent’s family in England we were strangers to our own birthright. In 1961 my wife and I spent three years in England on a working honeymoon/holiday. I was thrilled to discover family members and the hint of a fascinating ancestry. I was hooked! In 1974 with only correspondence to go by, eager to find out who I was, I started the long road of piecing together my lineage.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 3
  2. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Hi Tomb, welcome to the forum.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Tomb

Tomb LostCousins Member

Thank you Heather. I am looking at all the posts to see if I can identify with any of the issues. I am a big fan of FTA but there are still wrinkles to iron out and hopefully I can find answers.

4. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Hi Tom, welcome to the forum :D