1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

A Children Status Report

Discussion in 'Family Tree Analyzer' started by Tim, May 31, 2014.

1. PK-KTK

PK-KTK LostCousins Member

Alexander....... got a fix for this aspect yet?

2. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

I understand, but my question is whether FTA ignores such records under an individual as I don't know if I can produce them elsewhere.
    I am having to modify the code of a FHS product. I have already done that to produce the Lost Cousins events and it would be much easier for me if the Children Status records could be written at the same time/place.

3. PK-KTK

PK-KTK LostCousins Member

FHS Product?

4. Bryman

Yes, Family History Software product. In my case, GenoPro.

Lost Cousins recordings are not a standard part of the released product so every time that a modification is shipped to update the Gedcom file generation part of the product, I need to reinsert my changes which produce the Lost Cousins records, and now the Children Status records too.

5. Bryman

I have manually copied the Children Status records . . .

Code:
    1 EVEN Total 0, Alive 0, Dead 0
    2 TYPE Children Status
    2 DATE 1911
    from the individual part of my Gedcom file into what I believe is the appropriate family section, immediately following the listing of HUSB, WIFE and CHIL but before the MARR records.

I then reloaded the modified file into FTA but still don't get the desired contents of the Mismatched Children Status report.
    Please can I have more information about just what FTA is expecting?

6. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

PK is right Bryman, its a shared fact. I don't know how to do that in GenoPro.

7. Tim

Hi Bryman, it looks like you can create a custom tag for Families. You'd then just need to get it added to the reports?

8. Bryman

Thanks, Tim. That is similar to what I now have for Lost Cousins facts but they are related to individuals rather than families.

GenoPro allows a vast range of additional custom tags to be created for data entry but there are no facilities provided for user enhancement of Gedcom file creation. The standard report writer skin does not process such user defined data. I have already asked for user exits (**) to be provided within the report skin so that such modifications do not need to be continually reworked. I have not had any reply to my request.

(**) Possibly as dummy/empty subroutines/includes shipped with the standard product which can then be enhanced by users without being removed when the next system update is released.

My immediate need is for more details about how FTA will process the records which I generate. You have kindly shown me the format of those records but it appears that perhaps I am not creating them in the correct place within the file. I have added extra fields to my Lost Cousins tab for data entry and it would be easiest for me to write those records at the same time as the Lost Cousins records. It all depends on whether FTA can be made to recognize and use those Children Status records from that place in the file.

9. Tim

I'll have another look at the gedcom for you.

10. Tim

Hi Bryman, I had another look. This is where the fact gets entered.

Code:
    0 @F20@ FAM
    1 HUSB @I98@
    1 WIFE @I99@
    1 CHIL @I862@
    2 _FREL Natural
    2 _MREL Natural
    1 CHIL @I97@
    2 _FREL Natural
    2 _MREL Natural
    1 CHIL @I92@
    2 _FREL Natural
    2 _MREL Natural
    1 EVEN 3 Total , 3 Alive, 0 Dead
    2 TYPE Children Status
    2 DATE 1911

11. Tim

Children Status is a shared fact and not an individual fact like Lost Cousins. Have you created a Family Custom Tag?

Can the code I sent you previously for adding into the report skin be modified/duplicated and adapted to include Children Status?

12. Bryman

That looks similar to how I have manually inserted the records in my file but the report does not get produced.

Code:
    0 @fam02185@ FAM
    1 HUSB @ind07248@
    1 WIFE @ind07265@
    1 CHIL @ind07266@
    1 CHIL @ind07267@
    1 CHIL @ind07268@
    1 EVEN Total 0, Alive 0, Dead 0
    2 TYPE Children Status
    2 DATE 1911
    1 MARR
    2 DATE 1882
    2 PLAC Kensington, London, England

I have also changed some of the figures and found that FTA does not seem to do any balance checks. It does not mind if Total does not equal the sum of Alive and Dead. Perhaps Alexander has made allowance for my suggestion of a category of Undead?

13. Bryman

I have not created a new Family Custom Tag as there is already a Family Tag in the base product. As I said earlier, that could be a messy approach involving parent records. I would prefer to keep things as simple as possible. That is why I have tried adding extra fields to the Lost Cousins Tag.

Although you are treating Children Status as a shared fact, the figures are reported against the female partner on the census form so that is how I have entered them. I hope that Alexander will be able to apply that information to the relevant family via the FAMS specification for that individual.

I have used the insert code that you supplied for Lost Cousins records and added similar code to produce the zero records shown in previous post.

Code:
    if (this.GetTagValue(i, 'Census1911') == "Y")
    {
    Report.WriteText("1 EVEN\n");
    Report.WriteText("2 TYPE Lost Cousins\n");
    Report.WriteText("2 DATE 1911\n");
    }

if (this.GetTagValue(i, 'ChildrenTotal1911') > 0)
    {
    Report.WriteText("1 EVEN Total 0, Alive 0, Dead 0\n");
    Report.WriteText("2 TYPE Children Status\n");
    Report.WriteText("2 DATE 1911\n");
    }

However, I cannot use WriteText to output variable values which is why I used zeros at first just to produce something to check things out. That has the added advantage of causing a mismatch which should produce a report.

14. Tim

Is this line correct? i.e. using the greater than?

if (this.GetTagValue(i, 'ChildrenTotal1911') > 0)

I would have thought the test was the same i.e.

if (this.GetTagValue(i, 'ChildrenTotal1911') == "Y")

Isn't the code checking to see if the string ChildrenTotal1911 is present?

15. Bryman

I actually enter the value of number of children rather than the character 'Y'. The Gedcom records get produced as soon as I enter a non-zero numeric value. For test purposes, I then copy the generated records from the individual portion of the Gedcom and insert into the family portion. I am wondering if FTA has some other requirement which it is checking and that I have missed.

16. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

With the introduction of a major new system at work, I've not had the time or the energy when I get home of an evening to devote to looking at this problem. Part of this is that any new release will need a new certificate which may need a delete and reinstall and this will require higher levels of support during the cross over. Since I can't give higher lecelebs of support at present I've unfortuantely postponed making changes until my work project is over. Once that's done, and probably after I've had a fortnights holiday ;) I'll look to do some significant updates.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  17. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Balance checks hmmm yes looks like that would be a useful addition can you raise an issue so it's there on the to do list when I get back to looking at the code please.

18. Bryman

What should I do in the case where it looks as if the 1911 census form was completed incorrectly?

In 1891, the census return (366/57/5) shows Harry and Caroline Hart living with 6 children.
    In 1901, the census return (1600/137/13) shows Harry and Caroline Hart living with 8 children.
    In 1911, the census return (1101/100) shows Caroline (Head and widow) living with just one of her sons, also shown in 1891 and 1901.

That all looks fine until the Children Status is viewed on the original hand written 1911 census form completed by Caroline.
    That records Total 2, Alive 1, Dead 1.
    Caroline also states that she was married 24 years (1881-1906) and I believe that she had 11 (or 12?) children between 1881 and 1903.
    I have not (yet) identified any of the known 11 as having died prior to the 1911 census.

One missing/erased stroke of the pen seems credible but surely not two (Total 12, Alive 11, Dead 1).

19. Bryman

The mist is beginning to clear. There are TWO places in GenoPro where one can create Custom Tags for families.
    The one that I knew about is reached from the standard Individual's Record for the children of a family.
    The other one that you are probably referring to is reached from Family Properties where marriage details (etc) are entered. I had never looked that far until now and I think that is exactly what is required. Not as convenient for data entry but might save Alexander the hassle of converting individual data to family data in FTA for this situation (issue 13392).

I have also heard back from Genome and he has just produced a new skin for Export to Gedcom which should enable user enhancements for Custom Tags to be written to the output file without modifying the skin, and automatically carried over to future versions!!! I hope to have further details in a day or two.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  20. Tim

Errrr, do you have the correct census for 1911? I just looked and found this one which seems to fit better with your other data? DoB etc and all the names fit?

This one says 11 children, 11 living.

Code:
    NAME                  AGE
    Caroline Louisa Hart   49
    Harry Arthur Hart   23
    Ellen Elizabeth Hart   21
    George Frederick Hart   16
    Olive Mabel Hart   14
    Edgar Alan Hart   12
    Ernest Spencer Hart   7

ED, INSTITUTION, OR VESSEL: 14
    HOUSEHOLD SCHEDULE NUMBER: 124
    PIECE: 9533

FMP has transcribed her as Carline Louisa Hash.