1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

A Children Status Report

Discussion in 'Family Tree Analyzer' started by Tim, May 31, 2014.

1. Doreen

Doreen LostCousins Star

And I used "Living" because it was the word right in front of me when looking at the census :)

2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

It was that extra letter you see, that was so going to add up to so much time!!! :D

3. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Well both are supported now in v4.1.1.1 out tonight probably.

4. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

Any chance of another mod to allow UNDEAD just in case I ever need that? :eek:

5. Liberty

Liberty LostCousins Megastar

Bryman, that's CREEPY!

6. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Victorian Zombie invasions have been written about in the past so its not an unreasonable request. I suspect I'll put it on the back burner for now though. :)

7. Bryman

Fangs, Alexander.

8. Tim

Just an update on this discussion, seeing as Peter mentioned it in his Newsletter.

Alexander has produced 2 reports based on Children Status in FTA.

The report lists all the people who have a 1911 Census fact but no Children Status Fact.

upload_2014-12-30_15-45-27.png

You can then either double click or shift double click to get 2 further sub reports, one showing a Facts report and the other showing this very nice visual account of what data you have entered as Facts.
    upload_2014-12-30_15-52-22.png

The 2nd main report is called Mismatched Children Status. This is the one that works it all out for you!!
    upload_2014-12-30_15-56-44.png

The 1st 3 columns that start with the heading Children is what you have recorded in your FHS. The next 3 columns with the heading Expected is what has been calculated from adding the Children Status Fact. So for the 1st line, I had entered a Children Status Fact that said 8 Total, 7 Alive, 1 Dead.
    The total is different, so it's been highlighted in red. This means there is another child that I don't have recorded yet. This now enables you to go and try and find the missing child using the techniques as suggested by Peter in his Newsletter.

The more eagle eyed of you will be asking why if I entered 1 Dead, isn't a 1 being displayed in the Expected Dead Column? There is an error in that column currently, which has been raised as an issue, so I'm sure Alexander will deliver a fix with the next update.

Even with this small error, I'm sure you'll all agree how useful this report is in helping to identify Children Missing from the 1911 census and therefore missing from your Family Tree.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  9. Bryman

Thanks for this information, Tim. I was wondering how best to note/record this information when I noticed that on a 1911 census that one of my relatives had shown an extra child (that I did not know about) that had died.

However, what form would such a Children Status Fact take in Gedcom format? I use GenoPro so presumably I would have to modify the report generator skin to produce the correct Gedcom records.

I did check the FTA documentation but that update hasn't been made available yet. Has someone been on the bottle instead of working? ;)

10. Tim

I'm not on the pc right now, so can't look at my gedcom, but I'll look in the morning.
    But I should imagine it will be in the same format as the Lost Cousins Fact.

11. Tim

Hi Bryman,

This is what it looks like in my gedcom

Code:
    1 EVEN 4 Total, 4 Alive, 0 Dead
    2 TYPE Children Status
    2 DATE 1911

12. PK-KTK

PK-KTK LostCousins Member

Could the Legacy documentation page please be updated to include the new types of custom events - such as Children Status (and Missing)
    Also, I can't see where this report is in FTA, someone point out the probably obvious to me please?

13. Tim

Hi, sorry, it's on the Census Tab.

I don't use Legacy myself, so I need someone to send me the instructions/steps and then I can add them to the documentation.

But this is what it says for Creating a Lost Cousins Fact
    To create the Lost Cousins event:

• On the tool bar click on View and select Master Lists from the drop down list and then Event Definitionfrom the further options.
    • Click on the Add button
    • Type Lost Cousins in to the window and click on the Save button.
    • Click on the Close button
    To add the event to a specific person:

• Double click on the person to open the Individual’s Information window (alternatively if you are in theFamily tab click on the Show Events for this Person button)
    • Next to the list of Events/Facts click on the Add button
    • Click on the inverted triangle to the right of the Event/Fact window at the top
    • Scroll down the list and select the Lost Cousins entry
    • Click on the Select button
    • Enter the census year in the Date window and click on the Save button
    • This will return you to the Individual’s Information window
    • It is possible to sort the list of events by date by clicking on the Options button and selecting that option
    • Click on the Save button
    So I would imagine that it's the same steps just that you type in Children Status instead of Lost Cousins etc?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  14. PK-KTK

Ahh - thanks!

That's logical and I shall double check that for you in about 2 minutes

15. PK-KTK

Ok, because it's a family fact, it needs to be entered into the "Marriage/Relationship Information" screen for the couple, not the individual screen
    Add the "Children Status" event, put in the "9 Total, 5 Living, 4 Dead" (or Alive instead of Living, and whatever numbers are appropriate)
    Otherwise it's just the same.

This error regarding the missing dead number still appears to be present (see attached image) - there are 4 deceased children for this family

Attached Files:

16. Tim

I've updated the documentation, thanks for all your help. Can you confirm the steps are correct?

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  17. PK-KTK

Looks good to me Tim - thanks

18. Bryman

Thanks Tim.
    Producing such records should not be difficult from GenoPro at the same time as the Lost Cousins records but I cannot see an appropriate place for this data to be recorded within GenoPro. Please can you help identify the best place, if any exists? It does not appear to be as simple as it might be for other FHS products.

At first I thought of adding extra fields to the Lost Cousins tab which would be entered when a 1911 addition is indicated.
    However, the Lost Cousins tab is for an individual, not a family.

The Family tab displays names of Father/Mother/Siblings/Mate for the specified individual together with details for each child of that individual but not for the individual themself. That means that adding extra columns to record Total/Alive/Dead would only be relevant for that individual within the record of that individual's parents! This is getting too complicated for efficient data entry.

Even if I do record Total/Alive/Dead figures on the Lost Cousins tab for the mother only, I may not have her parents details to enable me to extract the information! It all seems to be getting rather messy. The chances of getting a change to the base product are just about nil.

19. Bryman

I have started to create Gedcom records in this format whenever a mother is indicated with a LC entry for the 1911 census . . .

Code:
    1 EVEN
    2 TYPE Lost Cousins
    2 Date 1911
    1 EVEN Total 0, Alive 0, Dead 0
    2 TYPE Children Status
    2 DATE 1911
    with hard coded values rather than variable values and that all looks good but I don't get reports out of FTA like you described, Tim.
    BTW, I think that I have found a way to get round my previously described problems and am now entering the data alongside the LC indication for 1911, under the right circumstances.

The Mismatched Children Status report is empty even though one of the instances should be "Total 10, Alive 9, Dead 1".
    What might I be doing wrongly? Does FTA expect these records to be for a family rather than an individual?

20. PK-KTK

Yes Bryman - they are a family or shared between spouse event, not individual