1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

16 years on and still feel like a novice!

Discussion in 'How I got started in Family History' started by Choccielover2006, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Choccielover2006

Choccielover2006 New Member

I started researching my family when my son was born in 1998 and suddenly realised I didn't really know a great deal about my family to pass on to him. My father's side of the family didn't speak to one another which made things a bit tricky! Sixteen years later I am still going but have hit several 'brickwalls' which have slowed me up a bit. I love doing the research, it makes me feel a bit like 'Sherlock' and get a great buzz when I make a breakthrough and can share it with other members on my now extended family! I live in Dorset but most of my immediate family came from Hertfordshire/Essex which thanks to the internet is a lot easier than it would have been. I am researching the Piper, Searle, Bartholomew, Savill (Saveall, Saville, Savile), Judd, Corley, Dowsett, Wallis, Warwick families.

2. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

Welcome to the forum, we take a bit of getting used to as we are apt to go off on tangents which are not necessarily about families or even trees. You are very lucky to have come up with an extended family through your research. If you come across any Warwick family who moved to Canada ( and possibly back to the UK) please let me know.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Choccielover2006

Choccielover2006 New Member

Will do Britjan

4. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

How can you say that, Britjan?:)