1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

1000th Message Result

Discussion in 'Latest news' started by Jennie, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Emma

Emma Member

Facebook is also an excellent way of tracking down younger relatives and getting in touch with literally lost cousins again. Found some of my grandmother's youngest sister's grandchildren in U.S.A. - I'll let you work out the relationship! Once you make contact with someone the site does keep suggesting you know all their contacts as well but that can just be ignored.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Jennie

Jennie LostCousins Member

Looking forward to your mother's reply! I've an early 1930s' photo of my mother also wearing white ankle socks and have always thought she was about 18 years old. It's a street photographer's one and she could have been on her way home from tennis - which your elegant mother certainly wasn't playing! I feel another search coming on .........

3. Siobhan

Siobhan LostCousins Member

L
    I will ask her today via Face book message - let me know how you go with your search:) Mum still loves posing for photos ;)

4. Maid of Kent

Maid of Kent Member

OK, perhaps I will give it another go and read the instructions on posting before I 'get into it'. Thanks Alexander.

5. Maid of Kent

Maid of Kent Member

Any more information on the photo of your mother?

6. Maid of Kent

Maid of Kent Member

Thanks Emma for that warning. I think perhaps that might be what happened last time. I also had an email from a cousin of my husband saying that she kept getting messages from Facebook asking her to join me on the site. She wasn't best pleased at that and that was why I opted out.

7. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

Well, for someone "who never wins anything" I am delighted. Thank you Peter and the team. I think that JA and I had the edge, both being from the Southern Hemisphere and being on line when not many others are.
    The photo is of my Mother, taken c1928 shortly after her arrival in Australia - I wonder what happened to the lace collar, it was probably hand-made?

8. Siobhan

Still waiting - sent her a message as she was offline by the time I logged into FB today -attached the photo to jog her memory:)

9. Margery

Our Mothers were fine looking women:)

10. Siobhan

They sure are:) Congratulations too Margery - two fortunate people:)

11. Siobhan

Maid of Kent
    Mum thinks it was taken in August 1939 - her mother made the dress for her. She said that she felt so good in the outfit. As she was born in 1918 she was turning 21:)

12. Jennie

Jennie LostCousins Member

Was just thinking of retiring and saw you were online. Good morning from England! Thanks for getting back, I've been looking forward to the answer. Does your mother know you're using her picture - no need to answer, see next sentence..... If she does I hope you have passed on all of our compliments, please? :) My mother was born in Manchester in 1914 and Blackpool's only about 60 miles from there, so guess that white socks were a fashion item for young ladies in that part of England and my mother was not on her way home after tennis - 'Sorry, Mum!!'

If you get a moment, have a look at the beginning of this message/thread, I have only just realized I unwittingly predicted your joint win! ;)

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  13. Maid of Kent

Maid of Kent Member

A little older than I thought then but they looked younger for longer in those days; in my young days too, come to that.

There were lovely compliments about you from Q in reply to my message to her. I won't embarrass you by putting them here in detail ;)

14. Siobhan

Thank you:)

15. Margery

Are we three Aussies the only ones online at the moment? Seems that I had better set the alarm for the middle of the night:D.

16. Margery

I have just answered my own question, there are 2 others. Should have looked first!

17. Siobhan

We are such good company - I closed down for a few minutes inadvertently - a few more of us now:)

18. Maid of Kent

Maid of Kent Member

Hi Margery, can you please tell me where you found who was online?

19. Siobhan

Pushing in, excuse me Margery:) M of K scroll to top, left hand side where the bar becomes black, click on members, it will give you a few options, 'registered members', 'current visitors', and 'recent activity' I find it useful to check the 'recent activity' as it gives me an indication of what has been posted on threads I have not ticked as watch or replied to.

20. Siobhan

Sometimes I can see the names there, at other times I can only see my name and the number of members online so I now go to the members tab