1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

How You can Help Yourself to Taste Success!

Discussion in 'How to decide who to enter' started by Red Dragon, May 10, 2013.

1. Red Dragon

Red Dragon LostCousins Megastar

Hi Everyone!

Here's a weekly update on how well people have been doing over at LostCousins.
    • 37 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 1,307 new entries have been added and
    • 44 relatives have been matched.
    Another slow week, I can imagine that all of December will be slow?

Here's a graph showing the activity over at the Lost Cousins site.
    graph01.jpg

2. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

I think it bears repeating that any response from a LC is valuable. One of the possible recent "successes" through a new entry and a relative matched was mine. It was a distant match by marriage and when I entered a couple more names I was fairly certain that they were not at all interested in the connection to my family. Without exchanging addresses I used the opportunity to correspond with them, and confirmed that there was no interest through a very courteous and anonymous reply from them. This is in sharp contrast to three LC's who have not responded despite Peter's best efforts at reminding them. One is particularly frustrating as it's a blood relative match and introduces a current surname that is unknown to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Not having much luck eh?
    But still, you have a new surname now, you can try looking at weddings and try and see where they fit in.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 21 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 1,112 new entries have been added and
    • 37 relatives have been matched.
    Another slow week, but as long as we're entering ancestors and making matches that's something.

graph01.jpg

5. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 30 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 1,009 new entries have been added and
    • 33 relatives have been matched.
    Another slow week, but as long as we're entering ancestors and making matches that's something. :)

Wishing Peter a speedy recovery back to full health.

graph01.jpg

6. Liberty

Liberty LostCousins Megastar

Red Dragon said :

Wishing Peter a speedy recovery back to full health

I would fully agree whatever ailed him - and dengue fever is very nasty indeed. Best wishes, Peter.

• Agree Agree x 6
  7. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Thanks, Red & Liberty - as you can see I'm back on the forum, which means I'm feeling a lot better than I was a week ago (and as for 3 weeks ago.... don't even ask!). Should be back to normal in a few weeks' time, which is just as well because there's Genealogy in the Sunshine coming up in March.

8. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 72 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 2,260 new entries have been added and
    • 117 relatives have been matched.
    The numbers are picking up this week, giving us a match ratio of 1 in 19.

Glad to see Peter is back at the laptop and may he soon get back to full health.

graph01.jpg

9. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 47 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 3,364 new entries have been added and
    • 120 relatives have been matched.
    The numbers for new entries has increased this week, which is good news for all of us.
    Slight increase in relatives matched, which is always nice to see.

graph01.jpg

10. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 39 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 2,204 new entries have been added and
    • 142 relatives have been matched.
    The numbers for new matches has increased this week, which is always good to see.
    I've been busy adding people to my tree, so I'll be using FTAnalyzer soon to help me find who to add to Lost Cousins.

graph01.jpg

11. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 43 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 3,124 new entries have been added and
    • 188 relatives have been matched.
    All 3 stats are up again this week. Match ratio for last week was 15.5 and this week is 16.6, so some good figures.
    Peter's special offer with Ancestry and a similar off over at Lost Cousins could see the numbers rise over the next weeks.
    This is the 4th week where new matches have increased week on week.

Clipboard01.jpg

12. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

The Ancestry Challenge in my newsletter focuses on the 1881 Census, which is the one most likely to produce matches - so I'm hoping to see more good figures over the coming weeks.

For an extra boost as we approach the 10th Anniversary of LostCousins I've arranged a competition in Who Do You Think You Are? magazine that focuses on the 1881 Census. (It's on page 59 if you want to sneak a look in WH Smiths.)

13. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 103 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 5,173 new entries have been added and
    • 284 relatives have been matched.
    All 3 stats are up again this week as predicted. Some good figures for new entries and it's always good to see how well matches track new entries.

This is the 5th week where new matches have increased week on week. Well done everyone, keep adding those relatives.

And if you need help finding who to add, FTAnalyzer is a very good tool with lots of features and reports specifically designed to help identify data errors and people to add to Lost Cousins.

graph01.jpg

14. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

I think from the graph that's the first time "since records began" :) that its been 5 successive weeks of improvements in matches.

15. Tim

:) I've been checking the graphs closely, looks like there are 2 other periods of 5 increases "since records began", but this one is actually 6! Obviously anyone with Red in their name can't count properly!! lol ;)

16. Alexander Bisset

Tim you've got it backwards I've not got red in my name it's DER. Now of course my username is red due to being a moderator!! ;)

• Creative Creative x 1
  17. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 61 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 4,341 new entries have been added and
    • 364 relatives have been matched.
    Only 1 figure went up this week, and that's right, it was new matches! Perhaps all the new members from last week are busy adding their ancestors? Unfortunately, no new matches for me, but if anyone has, then please post them here.

Alexanred, no one can call you backwards, and incidentally, you're name is red because you are an Administrator not because you are a Moderator. ;)

graph01.jpg

18. Alexander Bisset

During the six nations I surely must be considered blue not red.

19. Liberty

Liberty LostCousins Megastar

Did we ever establish if the count is of LC members (as in me, Red Dragon, Alexander) or of people from our past censuses? If it's ancestors, I think I may account for about 50 of them, as I got a (newly-discovered) second cousin once removed to join, and 'gave' her those to start her off.

20. Tim

Good point, and I should be red. "You have the power young Alexander, the universe is in your Hans".