1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

I've made a Match!!

Discussion in 'Meeting my 'lost cousin'' started by Tim, May 18, 2013.

1. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Hi All,

Heartened by the postings that people have made about making matches, I thought I'd start a discussion where we can post when we make a match. A place where we show our success.

I found a match and I only entered about 30 names!

How have you been doing?

• Great question Great question x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Norman

Norman LostCousins Member

Thanks to Alexander's program I've now added a total of 265 people with 57 more to go from the 1881 census. I've added all that I can from 1841 & 1911 censuses.

I've now had three contacts. I'm still "awaiting a reply" from two of them and I've emailed the third. This was a couple of weeks ago but I've had no response from him yet.

3. AnneC

AnneC LostCousins Star

Hurray, a new match at last! However elation is a bit short-lived as on further research I'd made an assumption that didn't stack up....and my brand new contact probably isn't a cousin after all. Never mind, keep trying....

4. Jennie

Jennie LostCousins Member

After Peter's and others re-assurances, explanations and motivational words in the beginning of the set-up of this Forum, I entered 112 names and immediately received 2 possible Lost Cousins. Due to the time spent on here and many other commitments I confess that I am one of those who haven't made contact and replied yet but I am not happy with my lack of manners, so intend to before this coming week-end is over!

Thanks, Tim, for running this Lost Cousins Therapy Group thread, I report back on Monday! :)

5. Carla

Carla LostCousins Star

I added some ancestors yesterday and got a match :) Am waiting for a reply now and i really hope to give some good feedback :D

6. Tim

Isn't it encouraging that by adding a few entries you can get a Match?

It's also very pleasing when you realise that the more everyone enters the more likely you are to get matches.

Well done everybody for adding more entries and finding matches, and come on everyone else, start adding those ancestors and then post here with your successes.

7. Siobhan

Siobhan LostCousins Member

Tim I have added over the last few days more 'cousins' in the 1881 and 1911 census - thank you for the encouragement. I have had one match in the past - none from the new ones but will keep going with other 'Lost Cousins'.

8. Tim

Siobhan, I have a feeling that your LostCousins are just around the corner, and I look forward to your next success post here. :)

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  9. Doreen

Doreen LostCousins Star

I'm now at 717 entries and am beginning to feel like my family was dropped here from another planet :) I did get one match (the step-son of a 2nd great aunt who did not reply) but still waiting for my first blood match. It's nice to read the encouraging posts, so I'll keep going.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

A DNA test (see Peter's newsletters) would confirm if you have human or alien DNA. :)

• Creative Creative x 2
  11. Doreen

Doreen LostCousins Star

LOL Alexander - if I get to 1000 entries and still no match, I will be looking into that!

12. Jennie

Well done and Good Luck. You have inspired me and I'm off now to add some more Ancestors.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  13. Jennie

I've just added another 33 Ancestors, clicked on "Search ..... New Contacts" which has produced 2 more matches, one of which has matched on 10 names! I shall certainly be busy this weekend, as promised!

Added later: I have just found out that the contact I have made with the 10 matches is a second cousin that I met through my website four years ago. She was just starting out with her Family History and I recommended Lost Cousins to her. Unfortunately, I did not go through the Lost Cousins' Referrals system. The good news is that she delighted me on Mothering Sunday four years ago with two photographs of my mother as a young girl, aged about three. I had never seen either of them before and and it was a wonderful gift on my mother's special day - especially as she had died as the result of a tragic accident in the summer of 1972.​
    THOMPSON Margaret R 2 (2).jpg

14. MaryK

MaryK Member

I have had 3 new matches over the week-end :) I really worked hard and added about 250 to my Ancestor list, and one branch paid off - 2 matches and one contact made, with someone who it seems might be a 4th cousin once removed - previously not known about :) Still awaiting a reply from the other, and one contact made with someone who I had "chatted" to a few years ago on another branch.

So yes, everyone - keep going ! It's really exciting when it happens !

I'm now catching up on the chores which didn't get done while I was getting the ancestors ready to add - and then I'll be back working on the next batch !

15. Tim

This is great news, maybe this is just the tip of the iceberg.... Lots more matches for everyone to come. :)

16. Doreen

Doreen LostCousins Star

I have just now entered #1001 and my match potential is 3.4581 - the bad news is that I still only have one match of a step-son to a 2nd great aunt. This validates my decision not to buy lottery tickets :(

17. MarionK

MarionK Moderator Staff Member

I am now up to 472 people entered, with 8 contacts overall, 2 new ones after yesterday's session. My match potential is 3.068. Still a long way to go, though!

18. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Marion, please give Doreen some of your contacts! Or some of your lottery winnings!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  19. MarionK

MarionK Moderator Staff Member

I'd be happy to! Contacts, that is, no lottery winnings here, more's the pity! Don't think my contacts will help Doreen, unfortunately. :D Don't give up, Doreen!

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. OnlyMe

OnlyMe LostCousins Member

I've added another 70 in the last two days (starting from a low point of cousins already added) no further matches... Could never get anywhere near 1,000, only have 500 more than that on my entire tree! Well Done Doreen.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1