1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

DNA survey - please respond

Discussion in 'DNA Questions and Answers' started by peter, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Sue345

Sue345 LostCousins Member

My version with Wales

Attached Files:

2. IanL

IanL LostCousins Superstar

Here is my spreadsheet. The latest version is more accurate for me than the earlier one. I've annotated the English counties with the number of my 3x GG parents. The others are as follows:

3 Ireland
    6 Scotland
    7 unknown (probably 5 Ireland 2 Scotland)

With a whole host of direct ancestors called Williams living in Bristol I fully expected to find eventually a connection to Wales. But the figures don't seem to support that supposition.

Attached Files:

3. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Did you split them equally between Gloucestershire and Somerset? Or according to which part of Bristol they were living in?

The lack of a Welsh connection is surprising, though for what it's worth in 1841 there were nearly as many people called Williams living in England as in Wales.

4. MaureenR

MaureenR LostCousins Member

I've corrected my spreadsheet for the new population figures. The results are not as good as with the 1801 populations.
    My husband's was already correct. Sorry about that.
    I was analyzing my tree and I have birthplaces for 1680 persons and baptisms for 2469 persons. Only 404 have both.
    I have slightly more with birthplaces in Kent (419) than Essex (306) and Middlesex/London (387).
    I have 1353 baptisms in Kent, 54% of the total which reflects my research and the availability of records to me.
    I'm thinking that counties which are more difficult to access records from maybe throw up less matches?

Attached Files:

5. peter

You could be right, although it is tricky to quantify since ease of access is hard to define - for example, a county which has better than average IGI coverage might throw up more matches than one whose registers are all online but only available to those who have a subscription to a specific website.

Another factor affecting the stats might be the difficulty of tracking the right ancestors when a high proportion of the population have common surnames, as in Wales.

6. PhoebeW

PhoebeW LostCousins Member

That example makes sense - but I thought I had at least as many matches as others posting on this thread although my ancestry is Welsh. There must be other factors too?

7. PaulC

PaulC LostCousins Member

I've been following this discussion and would be happy to post my results. I only got my test results five days ago though, and I'm sure it mentions in the masterclass about Ancestry's database needing a few days to sort itself out. Should I wait a while longer or do you reckon I'm ok?

8. peter

It should be OK now, but I would suggest holding off for a couple of days as I'm hoping to come up with a new version of the spreadsheet over the weekend.

9. peter

The total number of matches that we get varies widely, and can't be anything to do with the availability of records or the ease of tracing ancestors. I have fewer than 16,000 matches but I'm definitely at the low-end of the range. The number of pages of matches we get for individual counties is partly dependent on the total number of matches that we have and only partly on whether we have ancestors from the county.

My most important counties are Suffolk and Essex, neither of which has parish registers online at Ancestry or Findmypast (the Essex registers are online but unindexed at Essex Ancestors, but a subscription is expensive). Nevertheless Essex and Suffolk both come near the top of my spreadsheet whether I use population statistics from 1801, 1881, or even 1761.

10. IanL

I split them according to which part of Bristol they resided in. They moved back and forwards across the county boundary. So if I had gone back to 4xGG then the the two Gloucestershire would have become 3 Somerset and 1 Gloucestershire.

11. peter

Remember it's not where your 3G grandparents were born that matters, but where their ancestors came from - to the best of your knowledge. So assuming you haven't got back beyond 4GG I would probably put them down as 1.5 Somerset and 0.5 Gloucestershire.

12. IanL

Apologies I had misunderstood the requirement. Attached is my amended spreadsheet.

Attached Files:

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  13. DavidL

DavidL LostCousins Member

After three decades working on computers I still feel uncomfortable working on a spreadsheet [I'm a writer]. So I can't guarantee mine is without flaws.

Attached Files:

14. DavidL

DavidL LostCousins Member

Revised

Attached Files:

15. GillyGC

GillyGC LostCousins Member

I hope I've done this right...I'm not an experienced Excel file user either. Anyway, as expected Lancashire, Kent, Yorkshire and Shropshire were the counties I thought would be the strongest...although Cheshire forebears link with the Shropshire ones in the main. I'm surprised that Sussex is as strong as it is, although that makes sense in view of Kentish forebears. Overall, though, 'tis more or less what I expected to see. Rather surprised that the border counties of Wales haven't been included as there was clearly a lot of leakage to and from both sides - that said I have only three or four pages from each of Denbighshire, Montgomeryshire and Flintshire.

Anyway, it's been an interesting exercise overall... thank you. :)

Attached Files:

16. GregS

GregS LostCousins Member

Here are my results...

Thanks, Peter, for fast-tracking me to "member" to allow me to do this.

Attached Files:

17. peter

Thanks - it looks as if the 40-page limit has kept Lancashire from rising up the chart. It's interesting to see Wiltshire near the top - this is an anomaly we've noticed before.

18. PaulC

PaulC LostCousins Member

Decided to give this a go using Peter's updated spreadsheet on page 6 (I hope that's correct, the first post is still pointing to the one on page 4). I'm not sure if this tells me anything meaningful though, my results seem awfully spread out and my scores for Lancashire and Yorkshire will be meaningless thanks to Ancestry's 40 page limit.

Attached Files:

19. peter

I'm working on a solution to that problem - a bit rough and ready, but it should work nonetheless.

20. Sue700

Sue700 LostCousins Star

Here is my spreadsheet. I have joined the forum today specifically to take part, so I hope it is OK. Carmarthenshire and Pembrokeshire are at the top with Glamorgan not far behind. That is what I would have expected. I'm not sure where Breconshire came from, but it is quite possible that some of the Carmarthenshire and Glamorgan people had ancestors from there that I don't know about.

Attached Files:

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1