1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

DNA survey - please respond

Discussion in 'DNA Questions and Answers' started by peter, Sep 5, 2018.

1. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Absolutely - for a start it might highlight some Welsh roots you don't know about, secondly I'd like to know whether updating the population figures from 1801 to 1881 has improved the results you're getting for the ancestors you do know about.

And finally, I need to know that the spreadsheet accurately detects who has Welsh roots and who doesn't.

2. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

OK, will have a go but don't have time today, I'm afraid.

3. hibnit

hibnit LostCousins Member

I wasn't sure about this either. I went from very light yellow all the way to dark orange but I saw your example had blue in there also - before I try the new sheet with Wales added please can you clarify what blue vs. yellow means?

Thanks.

4. peter

You can use any colours you want - I just felt there weren't sufficient shades of yellow (starting from bright yellow for the most important county), so I used grey for the least significant counties.

As long as you include an extra column showing the breakdown of 3G grandparents, others will be able to interpret your colour scheme.

5. PhoebeW

PhoebeW LostCousins Member

Here is my spreadsheet - with Welsh ancestry showing up well. Carmarthenshire and Pembrokeshire at the top of the list include a great many north American matches.

Just to note an anomaly - I have far more than 50 matches with Anglesey born ancestors but Ancestry doesn't seem to be handling Anglesey place names properly.

Attached Files:

6. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

Attached new spreadsheets for myself (no known Welsh ancestry) and my husband (half Welsh). All the Welsh counties come at the bottom of my spreadsheet as expected. They are further up in my husband's list but not as high as I thought they would be, with his main county (Montgomeryshire) only mid-table.

In going through my English counties again I realised I'd previously given too many pages to Oxfordshire giving it a falsely high position - now corrected so that anomaly removed. My dominant county Lancashire has moved down from top to 4th but this is probably a result of hitting the Ancestry limit of 40 pages of matches, as only another 4 would put Lancs on top again. Many of my ancestors come from Manchester so that maybe explains why nearby Cheshire is so high (top!) in my list.

Attached Files:

7. trebor

trebor LostCousins Member

Updated to the Wales version.
    With a Jones 3x GG (birth location not known but only known descendent born in Staffs) I was hoping for a hit from the Welsh counties but they are all at the bottom of the list :-(
    Staffs has been pushed back down to 2nd place by Wilts (no known connection)
    Yorks has been pushed down to #7 from #4
    Durham now down to #33 from #8
    These new calculations appear to be less accurate compared to the last as far as I am concerned.

Attached Files:

8. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Just returned from a break but picked up there is a revised version including Wales. I attach my updated Spreadsheet. I have shown the numbers of 3xG ancestors as requested to explain my highlighting. I personally think it is not as good prediction wise for me as the 1801 version but not really had time to digest its overall impact.

Attached Files:

9. MaureenR

MaureenR LostCousins Member

Here is my updated version, and I have also now done my husband's. So far, all his ancestry is from 5 adjoining counties.
    Neither of us appear to have Welsh ancestry.

Attached Files:

10. BerylMC

BerylMC LostCousins Member

Here is my updated version including Wales. There doesn't appear to be much difference between this and the 1801 version. Glamorganshire was a surprise, given that my two known ancestors from Wales were from Flintshire and Denbighshire in the north. Possibly relates to my Hughes family in Wiltshire?

Attached Files:

11. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

Here are my two updated versions - version 1 (with updated colour shades) and version 2 - Version 2 doesn't feel as accurate as version 1 however.

Neither of my paternal lines have any Welsh ancestry and I added a smaller addition of the number of ancestors (on appropriate sheets) born outside of either England or Wales.
    I have included myself, my two brothers (B1 and B2), my mother (maternal), my father (paternal) and my paternal grandmother (PG). We each have a sheet at the bottom of the spreadsheet so that I don't clutter the place up with too many different documents.

Attached Files:

12. hibnit

hibnit LostCousins Member

Here is the spreadsheet with my results for the Wales counties added and I also adjusted the weightings for the 3G Grandparents - Previously I just using 1 for each county regardless of whether the ancestry was split between 2 or more counties.

I don't have any "direct ancestors" born in Wales that I know of but they lived very close to the border in Shropshire/Cheshire and some of them did cross over to Denbighshire/Flintshire at some point so I have known "Blood relatives" born there although I Haven't traced all the lines down to see if they remained there. If they did I would have expected more pages.

I definitely think Yorkshire would be higher up on the list if it wasn't for the 40 page limit.

Attached Files:

13. peter

Once everyone has posted their updated spreadsheets I'll experiment with different census years to see which give the best results.

14. stevejm

stevejm LostCousins Star

my results on the new version spreadsheet

Attached Files:

15. PhilGee

PhilGee LostCousins Member

My updated sheet is attached. I have left some "calculation" data which may be of use - columA is the old county order (England only), columnG are the old columnB county results for comparison with columnF. ColumnI was calculated from the data to the right (formula in I53).

Note that this is a Libreoffice output in .xls format.

Phil

Attached Files:

16. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Here's my latest file, with 1801, 1881 populations and Wales added.
    Columns are colour coded

Attached Files:

17. peter

Thanks, Tim - unfortunately you're up against the 40 page limit for Lancashire. which prevents that county from going any higher in the table. As for the Isle of Man - I suspect it may suffer from the problem as Anglesey (see above).

18. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Can't remember if I sent my wife's spreadsheet previously although I do recall a separate analysis highlighted a heavy Northamptonshire element as well it should considering some 60% of her ancestry springs from that County. Here is her updated Spreadsheet with the Wales contingent added. Wiltshire appears an anomaly at the top as is Worcestershire but for the opposite reason; I believe it should be higher based on ancestry numbers.

Attached Files:

19. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

Here are my results for the new spread sheet, and I've added a bit more variation to the highlighting as well. My four main counties are towards the top but Gloucestershire still seems to me lower than it should be, as does Leicestershire.

Attached Files:

20. peter

Yours aren't the only results to have Wiltshire too high up the list - but I know why it's happening and am working on a revised version. If anyone has spotted other persistent (ie across multiple individuals) anomalies please let me know.