1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

You never know when you'll meet a lost cousin....

Discussion in 'Meeting my 'lost cousin'' started by Britjan, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

I had always thought I was the first of my family to venture across the pond to live in Canada but to my surprise I found that one of my gggf's was born in Canada in the 1830's although he returned to live in London. One of his cousins remained in Canada and a descendant went on to establish Warwick and Rutter who were famous in the early 1900's for their postcards. I have always been interested in postcards and I have a small collection of cards written by soldiers during WW I so I marked the date of the annual Toronto Post Card show on my calendar. Once there I got into conversation with the author of the definitive catalogue of Warwick postcards at his display and he said "Of course you know Rick." Well no I did not as I had never traced any living member of the Warwick family over here but within five minutes I was introduced to my fifth cousin, a direct descendant. Needless to say collecting some of the best of the Warwick cards is now a hobby of mine and I happen to work a stone's throw from the former Warwick factory and warehouse in downtown Toronto.
    Anybody else meet a cousin when they weren't expecting it or developed a hobby from their research?

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  2. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

Now that I have mastered the art of linking here is one that includes a lot of the postcards . Unfortunately I can't edit out those which are not from Warwick and Rutter and the scary thing is that I can be pretty sure just by glancing at each image which is authentic.