1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

WWI resources

Discussion in 'More Shropshire Resources' started by Britjan, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

The attached link is to Shropshire World War I and it is a Facebook public group. While Facebook groups can be annoying as they are basically an on line ramble this one has used one of the advantages of groups, the ability to attach files to the group page. These files ( Word, PDF's, Excel etc are nearly always resources and can be something the contributor has compiled themselves.

2. pjd

pjd LostCousins Star

WWI Remembrance is another local project in this case focussed on the men of Conisbrough & Denaby, South Yorkshire who are listed on local war memorials. In addition to background information about the men, there are accounts of some of the key battles in which they were involved.

To quote from the site:
    Almost every village in the United Kingdom has a War Memorial and to mark the centenary of the Great War; between August 2014 and November 2018 we have embarked upon a mammoth project to commemorate 100 of the brave men from our local communities of Conisbrough and Denaby who are listed on our Memorials. We will research each man in detail, and visit his grave or memorial to lay a tribute for posterity. The results of our research will be published in the section '100 Project', to ensure that this valuable information is made available for generations to come.

My grandfather's first cousin, Norman Hattersley Smith, is one of the men commemorated.