1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Writer in H M Dockyard

Discussion in 'Occupations' started by Susan48, May 28, 2015.

1. Susan48

Susan48 LostCousins Superstar

One line of my mother's family came from Portsmouth and many of the men were employed in and around the Dockyard. One of them gave his occupation in 1911 as 'First Class Writer H M Dockyard Portsmouth'. A thread on Rootsweb suggests that this was a rank in the Royal Navy. A second ancestor, Arthur Beagley Wilks, is mentioned with about a dozen others in the Edinburgh Gazette for 7 June 1921, p. 956, who were all appointed to the position of Writer in H M Dockyards and Naval Establishments.

Arthur Beagley Wilks was the only one of his family to have been born in Malta, on 29 December 1893. I found his date of birth in the Civil Service evidence of age section on Findmypast. The image shows a copy of his full birth certificate, annotated '19 February 1921'. So, Arthur had to provide a copy of his birth certificate to get the post of Writer - a Civil Service appointment. Would that have been usual for the Royal Navy?

2. Jeremy Wilkes

Jeremy Wilkes LostCousins Star

In his book Ancestral Trails, Mark Herber says that the Civil Service Commission required evidence of age from its formation in 1855, for pension purposes. My great grandfather by adoption, John Hemlin, appeared in the 1891 census as a pensioner and dockyard writer and in 1881 as a marine pensioner. His son-in-law Silas Emmanuel Wilkes was not in that line of work.

3. Susan48

Susan48 LostCousins Superstar

Thank you for that, Jeremy - and welcome to the forum. There was a recent posting about Greenwich pensioners which I have only just explored and found my 2xgt-grandfather's record in the British Royal Navy personnel 1831 record set on Findmypast. He joined the RN in 1830 and in 1831 was on board the Rainbow as carpenter's mate in Malta and Corfu. The Malta link is interesting as he was Arthur Beagley Wilks' grandfather.