1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

World War 1 Service Records

Discussion in 'Military records' started by Katy, Oct 10, 2020.

1. Katy

Katy New Member

Hello

I have two relatives you were Majors in the Volunteer Royal Field Artillery in WW1, one was Charles Thomas Jones and the other was Rhys John Jones, it is also thought that their older brother, William Edwin, was also a Major in WW1. I have managed to find details for Charles Thomas and Rhys John but nothing for William Edwin.

I am wondering if their service records were lost in World War 2 - would anyone be able to advise if this is the case or advise where I might be able to get the service records for the 2 younger brothers.

Thanks

Katy

2. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Hi Katy, have you searched on Find My Past?

3. I doubt very much if anybody can say for certain which records were lost, only those that were not lost would show up in a search.
    You don't say where you found the records you already have. If you have already tried Ancestry/Fold3 and FMP I would suggest Forces War Records and The National Archives.

4. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

If he was a commissioned officer you should find him in the London Gazette, and possibly in the Army List.

Officers records were kept separately, and I don't think any were lost in the fire that destroyed 60% of the soldiers' records. But check the National Archives research guide to find out more (these guides are always the best place to start when you're looking for British records).

Warning: if you use Forces War Records be very careful - it isn't a site that I use or recommend, and the feedback I've had from users has not been encouraging (also bear in mind that many of their records are online elsewhere).

5. Katy

Katy New Member

Hi Heather, yes I have and I have found the medal cards but not the records.

6. I have used it in the past, I have never actually found any records in it but it is useful for pointers to where you can find records.