1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Who did Lewis Lister Peckett marry?

Discussion in 'Comments on the latest newsletter' started by Tim, May 8, 2014.

1. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

I was looking at Yvonne's My Ancestors page recently, and noticed that she hadn't entered the maiden name of Mary Ann, who married Lewis Lister Peckett in 1872.

As I had a few moments to spare I decided to look up the answer - but ran into a slight problem, because the only possible spouse listed was called Eliza. Undaunted I put on my thinking cap, and a few minutes later I had the answer - and what I'd like to know is whether you can find it too?

Tip: I used the FreeBMD site to solve this mystery.

Have you managed to work it out yet? Please do not post the answer here.

Just a yes or no and any observations.

2. Tim

I have managed to work it out using FreeBMD, but what was interesting was when I then used FMP and Ancestry.
    No obvious answer in FMP but Ancestry gave me the correct answer straight away.

3. Liberty

Liberty LostCousins Megastar

Yes, I worked it with FreeBMD, using a technique I've had to use in my own tree.
    And, agreed, Ancestry presents you with the answer straight off

4. Susan

Susan LostCousins Member

I also found it using FreeBMD, since that's what Peter said he used. Then I confirmed it by checking with www.yorkshirebmd.org.uk which also names the church.

5. Liberty

Hope this isn't making Yvonne feel inadequate - all these routes to the name

6. Susan48

Susan48 LostCousins Superstar

I worked it out quite quickly with FreeBMD but didn't try FMP.

7. pjd

pjd LostCousins Star

Yes - as usual the answer is to think laterally!

8. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Ancestry only comes up with the answer because the marriage was in West Yorkshire - the vast majority of marriage register entries are not online, so usually we're dependent on the GRO indexes.

9. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

It was trivial with Ancestry stick in name and nothing else and the obvious record pops up.

10. Liberty

True, but quite a few times I have worked out some details like wife's name, and felt very proud of myself. Then gone to ancestry and put in a search and the same answer I was so proud of has just popped up. Lewis was not the first instance.

11. Tim

Hopefully Peter will publish his way in the next NL so she and others can use the technique in the future.

12. Liberty

Well, Peter published the right way in beautiful detail. I notice he commented that most people didn't do it the way he told us to. I hope he's not including Tim, me, Susan, et al who used FreeBMD first, and then looked at other methods.;)

13. Tim

Fortunately, Peter has described the way that I did it first, phew! :)

14. Alexander Bisset

I do find it interesting the lengths you need to go to when searching those English (& Welsh, see Tim I remembered) indexes. I'm glad 15/16 of my 2g grandparents are Scottish. It means I've only very limited interactions with those indexes as being its a 2g grandparent typically means most of my ancestors on that 1/16th branch are pre statutory.

15. Tim

But it means you're missing the thrill of the chase, being able to ferret out those little clue like jigsaw pieces and watch as the whole picture makes itself clear to you, to boldly go where no man has gone before!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Alexander Bisset

Alternatively I can click to download a certificate online there and then and see all four parents with mothers maiden names on a marriage. Hmmm which is less frustrating? ;)

17. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

I have always been a huge fan of BMD, not the least because it has been put together over the years through astronomical volunteer effort. I quite often go to it first to sort out possible spouses before I look to see what I come up with at FMP or Ancestry. Not only are the "little jigsaw pieces" tantalising but I sometimes find other familiar surnames listed for my target year in the same registration area particularly in rural areas. Of course I do have to "park" these names and not get distracted by them and I must admit that in Norfolk I also have to be careful to remember that the Cubitts are Liberty's rellies not mine. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

Over the years I have found FreeBMD to be a wonderful resource as I do not have subscriptions to the other two and, unfortunately I do not live near any large libraries which have public access to Ancestry:(.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Liberty

Hear, hear! I would never have got off the starting blocks without FreeBMD, and then its sister sites. I got interested in my family tree when living in Azerbaijan so was probably as far from a library with an Ancestry subscription as anyone on this forum!
    Actually, thinking back, I knew of no sites except GenesReunited, which had an OK-ish search facility in those days. My breakthrough came when my mother gave me a free booklet she had received with the Sunday paper, which included a list of useful websites. Only then did I discover FreeBMD, FMP, Ancestry, etc. Seems hard to believe, now.

Britjan, I am NOT possessive about Cubitts - follow them as much as you like!

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1