1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Which DNA test gives the most value?

Discussion in 'DNA Questions and Answers' started by raven, Sep 4, 2015.

1. raven

raven LostCousins Member

I have been offered the chance to have a test done, but after reading blogs and comparing offers I am still rather confused. Just when I think I've found the best option, I read further and ... :confused:

I think it has come down to either Ancestry or FTDNA.

Ancestry, partly because: 1)I am curious about results after I add them into my tree, 2)I can xfer the results to FTDNA

FTDNA, partly because: 1)It may give more solid results, 2)I like the Family Finder list and other lists, 3)I have worked through FTDNA for my client so am more familiar with it

but
    .. I am concerned about the xfer upgrade costs, and confused as to whether I take the Family Finder test or the full mT sequence test (and does this include Family Finder or do I have to get that separately?)

There will be little chance of me ever getting any male testing from my father's line done.
    Advice appreciated, thanks. :)

• Great question Great question x 1
  2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

The first question is, what are you trying to find out?

The second is, which test is best able to answer the question?

The third question is, who is the best person to test (often it's not going to be you)?

Only then might you start thinking about which company to test with.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  3. raven

raven LostCousins Member

Hmmmmmmmm! Thank you, they are indeed thought-provoking questions.

1) I suppose everything I can - as I am still learning just what sort of information DNA is going to be able to give me. Matches to others, ancestral information, anything really.

2) Will they give a clear indication, or will their marketing spins make everything sound like the perfect choice?

3) As I said, there is only me left. My brother was adopted. I want as much information as can be gleaned for both my paternal and maternal lines from the narrow option of people to choose from - me.

I will have another look at what they offer. Still, any further clarity would again be appreciated. :)

4. peter

I suggest you re-read my recent series of DNA articles - the fact you're considering an mtDNA test suggests you may have forgotten what I wrote.

Do you really have no living cousins?

5. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Any results you get on FTDNA can be used on Ancestry if you wish. You just need to add the data to the individuals its a bit of a tedious process though. Ancestry's database is a LOT smaller than FTDNAs so less likely for matches.

As Peter says mtDNA tests are utterly worthless for family history purposes you are likely to be looking for. Be aware that any DNA testing is effectively like Lost Cousins entries. The more people that participate the more likely you are to get a match, and whilst you might not get a match straight away your DNA isn't ever going to change so once you've got results you wait for others to test to match. Note you can improve your chances by seeking out others that are possible candidates for a match. eg: where you have a possible extra child or a link you aren't sure of if you can trace forward to a living individual and they test that could confirm what paper records can't.

This is really what Peter was getting at when he asked what are you trying to find out. Is there any specific links you are wanting to find or is it just a someone out there might match?

6. peter

Unless they've changed their policy very recently (and the ISOGG wiki hasn't been updated) Ancestry don't allow you to upload autosomal DNA results from any other site; however you can upload Ancestry raw data to Family Tree DNA (though there's a one-off charge). Whichever company you test with you can upload your atDNA results to GEDmatch - standard membership is free.

7. Siobhan

Siobhan LostCousins Member

Thank you for this. Peter, I have read your newsletters and before I logged in I had just re read your 28 September newsletter re DNA. I have sent off my Ancestry DNA test. Your advice above re GEDmatch and FTDNA is most helpful.