1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

When and where did Charles Field and Hannah Freeman marry

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by Bob Spiers, May 13, 2017.

1. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

In the hope that someone can help overcome a ‘blip’ when researching my Great x 3 Aunt, Eliza Field (nee Coley) born 25th July 1829 in Birmingham, I have decided to seek help from the Forum. Eliza died as Eliza Field in May 1857, after which her husband Charles Field remarried. The Census of 1861 tells me she was named Hannah but finding her maiden name and where and when they married proved a real obstacle.

The following facts will help explain why I am reasonably sure the marriage was between Charles Field & Hannah Freeman in the (probable) period 1858-1859. Likely Warwickshire but perhaps further afield.

(1)Charles Field (1827) – a Sword Forger - married my Great x 3 Aunt Eliza Coley (1829) in 1847 in Aston, Birmingham. They had two children: Samuel (1849) and Sarah E (1851) (1st cousins 3 x removed). Possibly as the result of depression following the birth of her second child Eliza was admitted to an institution (Asylum) in November 1853 where she died in May 1857.

(2)After Eliza died Charles remarried a Hannah who bore him a child (Mary C) in 1860. The 1861 Census shows Charles & Hannah with the two children from Charles’ first marriage, plus their child Mary C who is shown 12 months old. We also learn Hannah was born Flintham, Nottinghamshire c 1830.

(3)Research on “Hannah’s” born Flintham Nottinghamshire reveal two candidates; Hannah Fleeman (sic) 1829 & Hannah Lee 1830. Further research eliminated Hannah Lee and I considered that the remaining Hannah’s surname (Fleeman) was perhaps 'Freeman'.

(4) Charles Field died 1866 in Birmingham and I had suspicion that Hannah may have re-married. Then in one of those inspirational research finds (uncovered in Ancestry) I came across a Hannah Freeman(!) shown with the alternative name of Hannah Field and a marriage to Charles Ashcroft in 1868. They married in Edgbaston, Birmingham. Hannah was shown as a Widow.

(5) So, I now had clinching evidence that Charles Field’s second marriage had been to a Hannah Freeman. Almost certainly one and the same as Hannah Fleeman born in Flintham, Nottinghamshire.

(6)The icing on the cake came in the 1871 Census when Hannah (now Ashcroft) was shown with her new husband Charles Ashcroft and a 2-year child of their own Henry L Ashmore (1869). Also with them was Mary C Field Ashmore (sic) her child with Charles Field.

So now all that was left was to tie up loose ends and find when and where Hannah Freeman married Charles Field. But I have been unable to uncover the marriage, yet I firmly believe they did marry and remember Hannah was shown as a widow when she married Charles Ashcroft.

We know Eliza was off the scene as early as November 1853 when she was institutionalised but Charles was only free to marry from May 1857. So, the most likely marriage period must be 1857-1860 and the most likely area Warwickshire. But even searching wider afield I have been unable to find a marriage.

I realise I may have missed something -apart from perhaps they never married – and welcome thoughts on the matter.