1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

What are the odds?

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by jorghes, Jan 26, 2019.

1. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

(this may not be the correct forum, please move it if necessary).

I was adding some more entries to LostCousins today with the brilliant help of the automatic upload feature of FTAnalyzer, and I came across an interesting match to another LostCousins member.

What are the odds of having a LostCousins member who is matched to both my maternal and paternal sides?

I was scanning through my list of links, adding notes as I always do, as to where the link was and whether or not the link was maternal or paternal, and I came across what looked like a duplicate entry - a possible relative/contact with the same initials and little flag who had been there previously (the note from previously mentions that their links attaches into one my maternal lines), and this time the link seemed to be from a paternal line.

Now, there is a distinct possibility that there are two LC members with the same initials who are both from the same country, but it was an interesting question to ask.

The maternal line in question is a West Midlands/Wales Borders (Gloucestershire for the most part) line and the paternal line is centred around Sussex.

For those who haven't come across me before - my maternal line is majority Welsh/English, mainly from the Welsh English border region, but with a couple of odd notes (Durham and Yorkshire with some seafarers and shipwrights), and my paternal roots, if you remove the large portion of Scottish/Ulster Irish and Jewish roots are from what seems like all over the place, and includes: Hampshire, Surrey, Sussex, Yorkshire, Lancashire, Lincolnshire.

Now I would have said that perhaps there was a chance of overlap perhaps in the Yorkshire portion since that's really the only place my maternal and paternal lines cross, but neither of the lines in question have any links to Yorkshire.

Has anyone else had this possibility/chance occur to them?

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

If there are two separate entries on your My Cousins page then they will normally relate to two different people. The exception would be when someone has (inadvertently or otherwise) opened two accounts.

Statistically it's much more likely that you'll have two matches with people with the same initials living in the same country than two matches with the same person on both sides of your tree.

3. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

Good point!