1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

W.F.A.S. meaning?

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by PaulC, Aug 27, 2023.

1. PaulC

PaulC LostCousins Member

Hi folks, I photographed a headstone in Sheffield the other day with the following inscription:

In
    loving memory of
    Harriett Dawson,
    (W.F.A.S.)
    the beloved wife of
    George Edward Dawson,
    who died July 4th 1918, aged 50 years.

Has anyone come across the acronym W.F.A.S. before, and if so what does it refer to? A Google search hasn't offered anything relevant. Given the date I thought it might be related to the First World War, but it might also be something local to the Sheffield area, or something else entirely.

It's not terribly important but I'd be grateful if anyone could satisfy my curiosity!

2. Stuart

Stuart LostCousins Member

I have found "Women's First Aid ..." in newspapers in Yorkshire around 1916,
    and "...Section" was used later. So that looks likely, but it's not quite what I thought at first. There were a number of similar volunteer groups, with Section replaced by "Nursing Yeomanry" (the best known) , "Corps" (in Scotland), and I suspect others.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2023
  3. PaulC

PaulC LostCousins Member

Thanks Stuart! I'd tried a number of searches for Women's First Aid/Field Ambulance Service/Society etc. but couldn't find anything specific.

Another source has suggested Woodseats Friends’ Adult School and I'm now thinking that might be it.