1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Visiting the Library

Discussion in 'Latest news' started by LynneWK, Jun 13, 2021.

1. LynneWK

LynneWK Genealogy in the Sunshine 2015

I have just read Peter's latest newsletter re 'What our library's have to offer'. Some years ago I visited Wakefield Record office. Quite a distance from Cumbria. On arrival I was told there weren't enough staff to man it that day so I couldn't use the facilities. They suggested trying the nearby library which I did. Luck was on my side as several of the parishes records I wanted to research were in book form or on micro fiche. An added bonus were the local newspapers searches I could do. I joined that library and over the years they have sent me requested books to my local library who return them to Wakefield when I have finished wit them. Has anyone else tried this form of distance research?

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

I have several on line friends in libraries and archives in the UK and they all spent their lockdowns looking at how they could make their holdings more accessible without visiting, and also encouraging borrowing once that is possible again . They are also encouraging anyone who does borrow from their holdings to send them a brief note of what they've found because most catalogue descriptions are quite vague.
    University libraries in Canada often offer a quite reasonable subscription for a library card , and my local university archive will soon be able to request an inter-archive loan of some newspapers in another university's collection. I'll be able to visit and look at them, under the archivist's supervision.