1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Version 3.7.0.0 Released

Discussion in 'Family Tree Analyzer' started by Alexander Bisset, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

your post beat mine by seconds!
    But then you'd stop being like MicroSoft!! ;)

2. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

While you are about it, could you please now add the Referral Report census reference for ex-pat soldiers? I am still unable to export the report to Excel.
    Perhaps a default value of "?" might help others in the future? If the report can be exported then missing data can be added manually, if necessary.

3. Tim

That looks better, 3.7.0.2

Capture.PNG

4. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Bryman, I'm not entirely sure what you are referring to when you say "the Referral Report census reference". Could you elaborate please.

5. Tim

Does Bryman mean the census refs for ex pats are not appearing on the Lost Cousins Referral Report?

6. Bryman

Sorry, I should have been more specific.

The LC Referral Report has a row for my ancestor who was serving in South Africa but because of the difficulties, now resolved by v3.7.0.1, he doesn't have any census reference recorded for him. With a null (or blank) entry, the Referral Report cannot be exported - see post #175 of FTAnalyser Questions thread.

Sorry for delay in replying - I was trying to find the previous reference/post.

7. Tim

Hi Bryman,

A tip for today.

Do you see the #26 next to your last post? If you click on that, it will give you (highlighted so that you can CTRL+C copy it) the code which you can then use in your posts, this allows anyone to click on the link and go straight to the post that you were talking about.

I have updated your post for you :)

8. Bryman

Thank you for doing that and for the information. A very neat facility. Does it work when one doesn't know where the previous post was? ;)
    I knew that I had raised the issue but could not remember where or when. Hence the long delay.

Time for bed now (1am). I will follow up any questions/progress in the morning.

9. Alexander Bisset

Ah the danger of just relying on posts here and not posting an issue. I'd not noticed the export crashes issue. Fixed now.

10. Tim

Unfortunately that is the only downside. :( You still have to find the post!

So here's another tip for today. (or tomorrow in your case Bryman ;) )

If you click on the arrow next to your name on the top line, and click on "Your Content", it brings up a list of everything that you've posted.

11. AndyMick

AndyMick LostCousins Star

Just a note to say thank you to the Alexander and the FTA team - I've been playing:)

At the moment, I use Generations 8 for my own tree - old, but it works, just - rather like me:) Over the years, I've added "pseudo-data" in fields that weren't supposed to be used for things like that - eg. I put "c41:pathname" into "education" to show the name of the 1841 census image. It also has user flags which I have used for LostCousins. Some years ago, when my brain was working better that it does now, I started to write a programme which was going to be MY family history programme. Development stopped as I got diverted on to One Name matters, and now modern programmes like FTM do more of the sort of thing I envisaged. However, I can still use it to extract the pseudo-data and export Gedcom. This I've just sent to FTA. I was showing SWMBO how useful FTA was, and I picked an ancestor missing in the 1851 census, double-clicked to find him - and no, he's still not there, but it showed up his baptism - and more family previously unknown.

So thanks folks, for supplying some useful and motivational software. If anyone isn't using it, give it a try! Who knows what you'll find.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Bryman

Thank you. I was trying to keep everything low key and not make a big issue of it, expecting resolution when other changes were made. However, too much other forum activity occurring at the same time diverted attention. I have made a mental note to not be so lazy in future.

13. Alexander Bisset

Good morning. It's not a problem it's just that niggles like this or sometimes even suggestions can slip through the net if there is lots going on at the time. An issue means that I will always see it as it pops up in the program I use to write the code. More importantly it stays there until I fix it and close the issue.

Your military yet on census ancestor cropped up again with an issue with the counts for Lost Cousins features. I've got a beta out just now that fixes this and addresses the census reference issue you raised as well as adding a new report that shows all identified and all missing/unknown census references. This should assist checking if census references have errors.

14. Bryman

Wow. There are so many 'hidden' features in this forum. Thanks for the tip.
    I must cut down on my posting and make any searching easier to do.
    Actually, I quite enjoyed the re-reading of other's posts while searching for mine! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Bryman

Lets try the forum first and then I will post an issue if not resolved 'immediately'.
    There have been so many new additions to the forum recently that I had trouble finding this thread.

I have installed v3.7.1.0-beta3 but the census reference is still missing from the Referrals Report for the soldier in South Africa.
    The new report "Census - Census References - Missing/Unknown Refs" shows the appropriate source but has blank Census Reference column.
    The "Census - Census Search Reports - Show Entered on Census" also shows a blank reference.
    (screen shot had to be removed to shorten post!!!???!!!)

The GEDCOM records look similar to all others . . .

Code:
    1 CENS
    2 DATE 02 APR 1911
    2 PLAC Z Battery Royal Horse Artillery, Potcheftroom, Transvaal, South Africa
    2 SOUR @source00149@
    3 PAGE Class: RG14; Piece: 34993; SN: 9999; 

0 @source00149@ SOUR
    1 TITL RG14/34993/9999 @@ 1911 UK Census
    1 PUBL Publication Date: 02 APR 1911
    2 CONT Media: Census

Is this another 'country' problem or have I missed something?

16. Alexander Bisset

No just a small typo at my side, sorry. Fixed for next version 3.7.1.0-beta4 out now.

17. Bryman

v3.7.1.0-beta4 now gives required census reference in Referrals Report (whoopee) but attempt to export to Excel still bombs for same reason.

Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: source

18. Alexander Bisset

Thanks for the report fixed for beta 6, (Tim had noted an issue with census refs that was beta 5). It wasn't fixed before as I'd fixed the same issue on the wrong form. Cut n paste strikes again.

19. Bryman

v3.7.1.0-beta6 still has same crash when trying to export Referral Report.

20. Alexander Bisset

Sorry for whatever reason the changes I made weren't checked in and thus didn't get published. I think it was because I was working last night on something else and checked in those changes and put the other files to exclude checkin. Sorry about that beta 7 should now fix it.