1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Version 3.5.0.0

Discussion in 'Family Tree Analyzer' started by Alexander Bisset, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

The new version 3.5.0.0 which will be out at the weekend includes a new feature to display all the people in your tree that has census facts stored as notes. This should hopefully help those individuals whose family tree program has erroneously stored census data as a note rather than as a census fact.

Researching the issue it appears that early versions of some programs didn't have census facts as a type of fact you could add or they thought users would be lazy and not bother adding census records to each person on the census. So they got round the problem by cutting and pasting the data from a census into a note. Unfortunately this doesn't adhere to the GEDCOM standard and means if your program did this then the individuals in your tree may not have a proper census record just a bunch of text in often fairly random format that is a census entry.

The downside of having your census records like this is that it is so much harder for you to see who is missing from a census as you have to read each note to check, sometimes you even have to read the notes of a parent to see if a child was on the census. The idea of this new report is to highlight to people how many of these partially hidden census entries they have. Shedding a light on these then will aid users should they wish to update their tree to actually record the census fact as a proper fact against each individual.

Having proper census facts means it is very much easier to see at a glance in your family tree program and indeed in the census reports in FTAnalyzer who is missing from a census which can be a spur to making new enquiries and finding leads that break down brick walls. Seeing clearly where there are holes in your research is a great way to make new discoveries, by filling those holes.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 3
  2. Alexander Bisset

New version out now. The new census notes report is available under the reports menu. Let me know if you have any problems.

3. AdrienneQ

AdrienneQ Moderator Staff Member

Alex
    I just uploaded the new version and got an error during the install.
    I clicked on "send to server", I have also saved a version of the error file in case you need it.
    I then reopen the software at it seems to be fine

4. Katie Bee

Katie Bee LostCousins Member

I managed to install the new version no problem.
    The report will be very useful, thanks Alexander.
    Is there an easy way to print it, or at least the id and names columns?

5. Alexander Bisset

No printing for that one at present. I can add that for v3.5.1.0

However you can with this version use standard windows commands to select, cut and paste. Ie: ctrl-a to select all, ctrl-c to copy and then in some other program eg: text editor or excel use ctrl-v to paste. Note those ctrl commands are standard built into windows functionality that should work on almost any app.

6. Katie Bee

Katie Bee LostCousins Member

When I tried the copy function I just got a little box saying 'view notes' which was very helpful in letting me view the notes for each record, but I could not copy or cut the selected area.
    Just tried again and did exactly as you said in your post and used the actual 'ctrl' commands and that works, thanks Andrew.
    I was expecting to get the options in a little box when I right clicked! I did not think of using the actual commands!!

7. Alexander Bisset

The copy function is the same as in almost every windows application you hold down control and press c ie ctrl-c. To get the menu you have right clicked which will be what you are most used to. Copy is ctrl-c that works in almost all windows applications, true many programs also have a copy on a right click menu but that's an extra.

Incidentally cut is ctrl-x again that works on almost every windows application as does ctrl-v which is paste.

Note I didn't add ctrl c as an option to the grid it's just there by default as it's a standard windows application grid.

8. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

So is it now working correctly for you?

9. AdrienneQ

AdrienneQ Moderator Staff Member

Yes thanks apart from the error and having to open it again its been fine.

10. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Great news, which of the features are you currently using?