1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

VERSION 3.0.0.0 - Mapping comes to FT Analyzer

Discussion in 'Family Tree Analyzer' started by Alexander Bisset, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

I've just released version 3.0.0.0 of FT Analyzer. If you already have it installed it will auto upgrade to the new version when you run the program there is no need to download a new copy from the website.

What's New... (LOTS!!!)

New Mapping Feature

Version 3 introduces a new mapping feature that allows you to see your ancestors plotted on a modern Google Map.

This works by searching Google Maps for the locations in your GEDCOM and storing the results. This process is known as Geocoding. The program can then plot those results on various types of map.

In v3.0.0.0 there is one initial Timeline map showing where everyone in your file was in a particular year.
    New Features since v2.2.1.1

Added Geocoding of locations in file from Google Maps. This new form is also the report showing the list of locations and how they were geocoded.
    Added display of individuals on Google Map as a Timeline view
    What's New menu links to What's New page on website.
    Map Locations can be edited by the user if the Google Geocoding wasn't correct.
    Updates

Locations now shows Lat/Long/Geocoded status, Google results, and status icon
    Locations treeview now has icons to show geocoding status
    Ancestry.co* merge data for censuses now parsed on loading
    Dataerror check box status remembered between sessions
    Added option to search again for not found items
    Added web proxy detection if behind a proxy serverMap refreshes on pan and year change
    Map Individuals list now has double click to see facts for person
    Added filters to Geolocations form
    Added extra birth fact to individual if fact has age but no birth date recorded
    Census form (for census and Lost cousins) is now fully sortable

Geocoding
    If too many Google Queries then stop processing
    Now defaults to UK Google geocoding
    If a location isn't geocoded instead of ignoring it on timeline try at next level.
    Geocoding respects bounding boxes of countries to avoid a similarly named place in a different country getting picked up.

Edit Locations
    Added Save and reset map buttons
    Sort order preserved on refreshing edited locations
    Add tooltip to tell user how to edit location on GeoLocations form
    Change Edit Location to place pointer using right mouse click

Timeline
    Added playback option and associated play/stop buttons.
    Button selected highlight added to pointer button
    Added Option to lock zoom level
    Solo person shown with Google teardrop
    Clusterer added - this means as you zoom out data is clustered together as you zoom in you see the individual dots. The selection tool allows you to select an icon and view everyone where that is their best location in that year.
    Timeline map ignores those born more than 110 years at timeline date.
    Add option to display all locations
    Timeline step change is 5 if range is 150 years or less
    Implemented fact date limits in timeline
    Added map scalebar to timeline map

Lost Cousins
    Added 1940 US Census button to form
    Form now displays count by country and year as per Lost Cousins website
    Count also now shows number of people you have a census for but no Lost Cousins fact
    Lost Cousins buttons wasn't respecting country chosen
    Show Lost Cousins facts after death as a data error
    Lost Cousins report displays the census reference info if it is found in a source

Bug Fixes
    Colour census death now uses ends before
    IsMarried now uses starts before
    Fix bug with locations not opening for places tab
    Fix bug with locations for less detailed levels not showing if on more detailed tab
    Fixed Google Maps button not showing map
    Bing & GoogleMaps now don't bother geo-coding if it already has the location geocoded
    Image in treeview doesn't change when selected
    Fix tooltip zoom icon tooltip text
    Fixed bugs with Census & Lost Cousins forms headings
    Fixed Census & Lost Cousins forms ignoring census records for people with no parents

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  2. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

What a lot of changes. You have been busy. I must try to get back to this family history more frequently.
    Very interesting to see where everyone was but what do the blue flags/pins denote? I cannot get further information from them.

I just saw the BMD report as well and appreciate the help it gives in identifying missing facts.
    However, there seem to be so many red blocks in the Death column, mostly due to the individual still being alive!
    It was a little worrying to find that my death details were missing. How could I have been so negligent?

Can something be done to reduce such instances, such as presumption of life unless aged more than 200, say. (ever hopeful)
    I don't know about other programs but GenoPro does allow individuals to be marked as deceased without any further information.
    I hope that such information would be included in the GEDCOM file but have not been able to confirm that.

3. Alexander Bisset

A blue pin is a solo person at that location a green man is several people at or near that location. Double clicking on either a blue pin or a green man will bring up a list of people at that location.

Hmmm good point about known living people I should omit them from being red!! At present the default check is 110 years which is fair enough when the vast majority of the people in a tree will be 1800s. It's a simple extra check I can add to the death colouring to colour grey people born less than 110 years ago who have no death fact. Thanks for the suggestion.

4. Alexander Bisset

Ok I've made that change. People likely to still be alive will no longer appear in red on the BMD report for death.

5. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

Thanks Alexander for the BMD change.That should help when the next version is released. I am currently using the 3.0.1.0 level.
    I have also checked my GEDCOM file where an individual is marked as deceased without a date (in GenoPro) and the record produced is:

1 DEAT Y

Might such a record allow red (or variation) to be displayed now for such individuals aged less than 110 years?

Regarding the double clicks on blue pins or green men, have I missed something? I only get a zoom-in from left clicks or zoom-out from right clicks, regardless of the pointer location. The pointer does show as a finger, suggesting that something ought to be available but surely that should only be when positioned over a pin/man. I do not get any details of individuals at each location. Do I need to initialize something first?

One further observation. If I drag the pointer, the map moves without any change to the appearance of the pointer. This is not a problem in itself but I had expected the hand to clench during the drag operation. Perhaps just something else to consider if you are making changes in this area.

6. Alexander Bisset

Ah sorry yes. Click the pointer icon to use the selection tool then you can select an icon and see people present. I'll update the status text to make that clearer.

7. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

I'm working on the documentation as fast as I can but there were a lot of changes in this release!
    Great Job Alexander!

8. MaryT

MaryT LostCousins Member

I tried Geocoding my large one-place study, and found it didn't really work too well. Reason? Because when entering Census addresses, I used the address at the time of the Census. And all too many of these addresses have been pulled down. This has left the programme scrambling to find what it thinks is the equivalent address. Now our High Street has been renamed since even 1911, which has led to anything listed as "High Street" being allocated to nearby villages which still have a High Street.

Occasionally, it's thrown a real wobbly, and landed something in the USA (or elsewhere). We had a street names "Fretters Lane", which is no longer there. What came out of the Geocoding was "Fetters Lane, Allentown, PA". And "Sergents Yard" became " Avenue des Sergents, 34300 Agde, France". But "Smiths Yard" was correctly coded just to the town. It appears to match the street name to the exclusion of the town name, instead of using the town first - but not every time.

And it stopped Geocoding at 2697 entries - told me I had to do any more another day. Ah well. If I will have over 40,000 entries on my file, with over 8,000 places listed (mostly streets in Northamptonshire!), I can't expect to do them all at once!

9. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

This issue is exactly what Alexander is working on now. The Google geocoding that is used does struggle when the road is no longer present. :)

As users, there are some things that we can do to help. We need to make sure we add things like towns, counties and countries. This will certainly help the geocoding process.

10. Alexander Bisset

Mary depending on how detailed your locations are will affect your success rate. If all your locations have a county and country name, then Google will have a better chance of success.

Note that the limit on the number of locations searchable per day is a limit Google imposes, there is absolutely nothing I can do to improve that, sorry.

Also where it really gets out of kilter and ends up with a US address it should show that in the status indicating its out of bounds. The new version out soon should be slightly better at getting results from Google. In particular it knows the difference between a good match from Google and Google partial match such as you describe.

11. Alexander Bisset

New version 3.0.2.0 out now that will reset the old Google Matches so that they can be split between full matches and partial. It will also fix your double date 4 digit year issue Mary.