1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Using FT Analyser to to track Lost Cousins Census Updates

Discussion in 'Family Tree Analyzer' started by Derek Baker, May 11, 2014.

1. Derek Baker

Derek Baker LostCousins Star

Since 2004 when I joined Lost Cousins I have entered over 1000 of people into Lost Cousins.
    I have taken a 2 year break from the task to move house and now I have lost track of which families I have entered and which are still waiting to be uploaded. As I started entering data into computer based Trees in the 1990s long before the Lost cousins Tag was thought of, my tree is not flagged with the Lost Census status of families.

In a recent conversation with Peter he suggested using FTA to get a handle on who is loaded and who I still have to load by loading My Ancestors on Lost Cousins into a spread sheet, and using that as a check list to manually update my tree with the Lost Cousins Tag. (A long job in itself.)

I use TMG v 8 and have created a Lost Cousins Tag as per instructions.
    I have entered 4 trial Lost Cousins Tags for the 1911 census as a test.
    Exported the file as a Gedcom and loaded it into FTA.
    Found 2996 census facts in GEDCOM File (2957 good, 39 errors (data discarded), 2957 usable facts loaded)
    Found 7 residence facts in GEDCOM File (1 treated as Census facts)
    Found 4 Lost Cousins facts in GEDCOM File (4 good, 4 usable facts loaded)
    Found 13 facts of unknown fact type MILIT-BEG
    Found 6 facts of unknown fact type MILIT-END

When I open the census tab and select UK 1911 and click Show Entered on Census I get:
    610 Rows containing 584 Individuals and 481 Families.
    Probably about the right number as I only record census data on my tree against the head of the household, I do not repeat the information for all children living at home. Children only get a census entry when they move away from home. So the 610 rows for the 1911 will translate into many times that in terms of entries in Lost Cousins.

When I open the Lost Cousins Tab and click 1911 E&W Census having selected all relationships it shows 0 Rows. Having Not checked Show already entered on LC.
    If I click the Show already entered on LC it show 2 of the 4 I used as the trial.
    If I click the Lost Cousins with no country the other 2 show up.

I would have expected the option (unticked = show those to yet be entered) to show 606 records.

What do I need to do to get FTA to show me a list of those who have census data and have not been updated to Lost Cousins?
    Thanks
    Derek

2. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Hi Derek,

How it will detect if the entry is valid will depend on how the census record is recorded as well as the Lost Cousins tag. I suspect it hasn't worked out that the country of the census is England & Wales which suggests that the location you have entered for the census is a bit imprecise. Hence it shows up under no country.

The fact you get zero rows on the 1911 census suggests it is really struggling to understand your countries in your census entries as it should really have worked out that you have at least some that are on the 1911 census for England and Wales. There was a recent change regarding how it checked countries it may be that unknown countries are not defaulting to included any more which would be why its failing.

Could you send me a GEDCOM with the family you tagged as having 4 Lost Cousins entries so I can see what the program is doing and why its failing to work out the countries you have entered mean England & Wales. I'll send you a PM (private message) with my email address.

3. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for the file. I've found the issue the stats wasn't showing a count of census facts where no country could be determined and the Lost Cousins facts was missing. I've added a suitable count and a new report that shows the census facts with no country and no Lost Cousins entry. This should then assist you finding your census entries.