1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Using Ancestry to find "Lost Cousins"

Discussion in 'Comments on the latest newsletter' started by Jean999, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Jean999

Jean999 LostCousins Member

Peter's article in the latest Newsletter was very appropriate for me as I have recently been searching family trees on Ancestry or Mundia to find possible distant relatives. I am naturally inviting any I find to join Lost Cousins!

It is very important to sort the wheat from the chaff, as many of the published family trees contain a lot of rubbish. A lot of the rubbish is probably the result of the Hints that encourage you to add connections that are not appropriate.

If two researchers only add their own ancestors to their Lost Cousins page they will NEVER find a link if the common ancestor had died before the 1841 census. This is why Peter is right to comment that we should all try to add our cousins' ancestors as well as our own. This problem can be worse for distant relatives who emigrated to Australia or New Zealand in the mid 19th century: they may only have been recorded on a single England census before emigration.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Or those with Scottish Ancestry when the only option is the 1881 Scottish census :(