1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

"Unhandled exception" problem with FTA

Discussion in 'Family Tree Analyzer' started by Jan, May 26, 2014.

1. Jan

Jan LostCousins Member

I have just downloaded the new version of FTA & all works perfectly with one exception.
    When I go to Colour Reports for the Census, I click on the name of someone still to be entered and it doesn't go directly to FMP as it used to.I get a message saying "Unhandled exception has occured in your application" with lengthy details! This always worked before.What have I done??
    Help please!

2. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Interesting Jan, thanks for the report. Could you create a small GEDCOM file with this individual in it. Then check that the problem still exists when you load that GEDCOM. If it does that's excellent as we have a small file of one individual for whom the problem is repeatable. If you could then send me that file. I'll send you a private message with my email address.

Once I have a file that shows the problem I'll be able to fix it.

3. Jan

Jan LostCousins Member

Thanks Alexander but it isn't just one person.It happens when ever I click on a red box on any of the census years!
    I created a gedcom file for one person, loaded it and the same thing happens.I have attached that file for you (hopefully!!)

Attached Files:

4. Alexander Bisset

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the file. I appreciate the crash happens for lots of people in your tree however having a single person as an example means its less for you to send and less for me to check.

Unfortunately however I'm not getting a crash. Can you confirm the version number you are running please?

If it is v3.7.3.1 can you get a crash to happen then press the ALT key on your PC and then whilst holding the ALT key press the PrtScn button - usually in a group of 3 top right of keyboard.

This will take a screenshot of the error window and copy it to the clipboard. You should then be able to paste that error screenshot into an email message using the address I sent you in my private message.

This means I can see the more detailed error text that you are seeing as it is this detail that tells me where the problem lies.

5. Alexander Bisset

We've got Jan's problem sorted out between us. For whatever reason her computer had decided to stop understanding web shortcuts. So when she clicked on the search census it tried to open a website to search and the computer didn't know how to display the website. It turns out fixing the default programs for web shortcuts fixed the issue.

Edit: I've added a level of protection to the web browser calls so the program should no longer fail completely on encountering this error instead it will display an more user friendly error message and keep running.

6. Jan

Jan LostCousins Member

Alexander
    Thanks for all your help.
    It is much appreciated

7. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

I've seen something like this before, the fix I had to do for them was to find and remove some "Free" software programs that had been downloaded and were hijacking searches and shortcuts.
    Jan it might be worth you checking for any Malware that might have got installed.