1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Unable to edit Ancestry tree

Discussion in 'Ancestry' started by peter, May 1, 2018.

1. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

A problem reported by a LostCousins member who was unable to edit her Ancestry tree turned out to be a problem with her adblocking extension (Adguard Assistant paid version). I'm just mentioning it in case anyone runs into a similar problem.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  2. Susan

Susan LostCousins Member

I had a problem with Ancestry pages not loading properly. That turned out to be Privacy Badger suddenly blocking a cookie which had not been blocked before. Changing the slider from red to orange solved the problem.

3. peter

Oh no, yet another way to take money out of the pockets of small independent websites and put it into the vaults of big companies like Findmypast and Ancestry!

4. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

Sorry, I don't understand. Please explain.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  5. peter

Add-ons which stop tracking prevent Ancestry and Findmypast from paying commission to the websites - like LostCousins - from which their customers come. The net effect is to increase their profits and reduce the income of the smaller sites.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  6. CarolB08

CarolB08 LostCousins Member

So it would be better to white list Ancestry then you would get your commission Peter ? Thats no problem to do. :D

7. peter

I'm not sure whether you'd need to white-list Ancestry or LostCousins, or both.

8. CarolB08

CarolB08 LostCousins Member

I can do both ;)

9. Rhian

Rhian LostCousins Member

From my experience you do need to whitelist both sites for commission to be paid, once the sale is made you can go back to the safe zone of no tracking. Of course after tomorrow sites will need to find a better way of paying commission than using tracking. I used Ancestries tool for third party cookie removal yesterday and there were 286 cookies that they removed for me, which is a lot considering I hardly ever use their sites.

10. peter

Why? The people who run the companies that act as intermediaries between advertisers (eg Ancestry) and publishers (eg LostCousins) clearly don't think so, as their systems aren't changing. The money they make is a percentage of the commissions paid, so they are highly motivated to maximise the commissions, unlike advertisers who are only too happy if a customer has disabled tracking.