1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Two factor authentication

Discussion in 'Ancestry' started by Pauline, Dec 6, 2023.

1. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

It might depend partly on how long it is since you last used Ancestry, but also whether you are using the same IP address. Most broadband connections do not provide a static IP address, but I don't know the circumstances under which it might change.

2. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

We don't have a static IP address (though we could pay extra to have one) but it only changes if we get disconnected for some reason, which rarely happens. Ancestry is one of the most frequently used websites in our house, and it's a pretty unusual day if we don't use it all.

3. peter

It may be that it's after one of those unusual days that you find yourself logged-out? My bank account logs me out after 2 minutes - LostCousins gives users 30 days (I think). Ancestry is probably somewhere in between.

4. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

No, it's definitely not that. We haven't had an unusual day recently, but have been logged out. I suspect it's down to something that happens at Ancestry, and is nothing whatsoever to do with me or my set-up.

5. peter

Hotmail routinely delay emails which they suspect are spam. I had thought the delay was only 6o minutes, but it may be variable.