1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Tweedsmuir History Books

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Britjan, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

The Women's Institutes of Canada started local history books in the mid 1930's at the suggestion of Lady Tweedsmuir (wife of the Governor General). While it started in Ontario the practice spread to other provinces and members of local institutes since then have contributed their memories of the mainly rural areas they lived in. I haven't included a specific link because of the wide distribution of current "books" but as local institutes continue to disband many of the books are finding their way into archives at various levels. These in turn generally have searchable databases.

2. haitchdt

haitchdt LostCousins Star

I have the West Kent (England) Federation of WI book within living memory amongst other local interest books

3. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

I was pleased to find the reference to the WI books as my mother was a keen member in the UK while in her 70's and glad that the organisation had turned it's attention to national matters of interest to its members. I remember her saying she was glad it was no longer "all jam and Jerusalem" !

4. haitchdt

I have belonged to both the afternoon and evening WI's where I live and was priviledged to go to the trienniel meeting at Birmingham some years ago. When you've heard a few thousand women singing Jerusalem in a hall its so very emotional. I took part in many trips, events and committees over a few years, then sadly work got in the way and I had to leave. I have happy memories of my time there, and think its not that common to have both afternoon and evening sessions in the same town/village, but there is obviously a need for them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

"Jerusalem" was our school song so I know what you mean, even with only a hundred girls and a slightly out of tune piano it always gave me goosebumps. It's appropriate that, at least according to Billy Bragg, William Blake's poem was set to music by Hubert Parry in 1918 for a rally in support of votes for women.

6. haitchdt

I wonder just how many schools had Jerusalem as their school song? We did , it replaced Pioneers by Walt Whitman as ours was the 1st Technical Girls School in the Country (in Kent England)