1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Transcription help

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by placeofoaks, Mar 29, 2024.

1. placeofoaks

placeofoaks New Member

Please can anyone help with this "relation to head of household" from the 1851 census for William Kirkbride aged 4. He was illegitimate and is here living with the Tweddle(Tweedle) family in Farlam, Cumberland.
    FMP have not attempted to transcribe this field while Ancestry have "Nurse Child". I think the "Child" is correct but I'm not convinced about "Nurse". 2024-03-29 13_02_40-1851 England, Wales & Scotland Census Image _ findmypast.co.uk - Brave.jpg

2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. placeofoaks

placeofoaks New Member

Thank you - I'd convinced myself that it was double "s" at the end.

4. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

I would also say Nurse Child. The same words are next to my Dad's name in the 1911 census. He was also illegitimate and was being cared for by the other couple on the page. He was 2 years old at the time.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  5. Stuart

Stuart LostCousins Member

My home dictionary gives, for nurse-child, the meanings "a child in the care of a nurse; a foster-child".

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  6. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

The first part of the definition is misleading since these days we generally think of nurses only in medical contexts. Foster-child is more accurate since mothers paid to have their children nursed by another woman.

I think the term 'nursing' originally referred to 'suckling', hence the nurse in Romeo and Juliet:

"The Nurse brought Juliet up from childhood, breast-feeding her and caring for her like a mother. In the play, Shakespeare presents the Nurse as Juliet's surrogate mother - a maternal figure, who truly loves Juliet, wants her to be happy and will do anything for that happiness. "

The presence of a very young nurse-child in a household can indicate that the wife has recently lost a child of her own, so is able to breast-feed the child of another..

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1