1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Training Regiments

Discussion in 'More resources' started by Carla, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Carla

Carla LostCousins Star

My grandfather was too old to see active service in WW2. I have been searching for ages for his WW1 records to no avail, although i know he was in the Royal Artillery. Just before Christmas, in a chance conversation with my father, he mentioned that my grandfather's WW2 details were on my aunts birth certificate in 1939. Well why didn't i think of looking on that? I am hoping to link the details with possible WW1 regiments but that is rather unlikely to happen, i know.
    Anyway i have found out the details state his name as J C Martin Bombardier Training Reg Royal Artillery, His number is 1050666 but the first 6 may be a 5 as the certificate is folded and the number is faded!! He was 41. I have also been told that he served at Bovington, near Lulworth in Dorset, but i have no proof this is true, as yet.
    By 1943 when his son was born he was a Sign Writer and not in the training regiment any more.

This got me interested in Training regiments and i found a few sites that have helped me to understand what they did and why they were created

BRITISH ARTILLERY IN WORLD WAR 2 RECRUITING & TRAINING
    http://nigelef.tripod.com/recruitrain.htm

Also
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Tank_Regiment