1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Townland names

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by Charlie, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Charlie

Charlie Member

Anyone not used to Irish research can become confused with the use of the term 'townland'. Irish genealogical sources often quote county, barony, parish and townland names. The townland is the smallest geographical area and covers up to about 100 acres. It would equate, more or less, with the concept of neighbourhood in urban areas. Some townlands may be quite densely populated but the average population density in rural Ireland in 2012 was only 26 person per sq km (1 sq km = 247 acres).

Using the correct townland in researching the Census or Griffiths Valuation can help pinpoint the family being researched, however, it is still possible to find several families with the same surname in a particular townland who may be related many generations back, so caution is still required.

An excellent source for townlands is the Townland Index Watch out for alternative spellings. There will also be duplicate names in townlands, partly because they're often derived from simple descriptions, in Irish, of landscape features or land ownership. For example, there are several townlands called Ballyboe in County Donegal because it describes the size of a field large enough to graze one cow!

• Thanks! Thanks! x 3
  2. Charlie

Charlie Member

I forgot to add that the Townlands Index allows partial name searching, that is, the first few letters, last few or any in the middle can be used and the 'starts with', 'ends with' or 'contains' options can be used - extremely useful when not sure about the complete spelling.

• Good tip Good tip x 1
  3. auscrafts

auscrafts LostCousins Member

tried your link and it took me to a site for health foods

4. AnneC

AnneC LostCousins Star

Me too. I think the link could be this

5. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

I've edited the original post to correct the link.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  6. Charlie

Charlie Member

Sorry folks, don't know what can have happened there. Thanks for changing the link Alexander.