1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Time to submit your 2021 Census comments

Discussion in '2021 Census' started by peter, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

I also received a note which didn't seem to give much information, just links to documents which linked to other documents. I even discarded it as being of no real interest. However, I was able to retrieve it when I saw Britjan's post and carefully checked all links.

Eventually, I did find what I was looking for and found the interesting statistic that there were 1,095 responses in total, of which 592 were from genealogists! Is that enough or do we need to mobilise the troops in future?

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. JamesB

JamesB New Member

Well, that didn't go very far. Both Place of Birth and Maiden Name were shot down by ONS. "Not primary purpose for the census"

At least LostCousins got a mention...

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. uncle024

uncle024 LostCousins Star

Just received this email from ONS:-
    Sent: 23 May 2016 16:04To: 2021Census ConsultationSubject: New report: ‘The 2021 Census – assessment of initial user requirements on content for England and Wales: Response to consultation’ - CS8
    Dear Respondent,
    Today the Office for National Statistics (ONS) published its full response to the public consultation on topics for possible inclusion in the 2021 Census. The report ‘The 2021 Census – Assessment of initial user requirements on content for England and Wales: Response to consultation and accompanying information are available on the ONS website.
    Evidence provided by respondents has enabled us to prioritise topics to be included in the next census and to guide our plans.
    Ongoing research and stakeholder engagement will help us with the development of the questionnaire questions, and as part of the 2017 Test questions will be tested in several local authorities next year. This will inform our proposals for the Census White Paper in 2018 on the content of the of the 2021 Census questionnaire, with the final decision on questions to be presented to Parliament for approval in 2019.
    If you have any comments or questions please send them to 2021census.consultation@ons.gov.uk
    Kindest regards,
    Tracy
    Stakeholder Engagement and Communications
    Census Transformation Programme

4. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Yes, and I expect others who responded will have too. I assumed you had the email from reading your previous comment about Lost Cousins getting a mention. When I came across the mention I thought it was a back-handed way of saying they knew (or suspected) the sudden surge of input was directly attributed to LC rallying; and as that was intended effect, so be it.

Peter will assuredly comment on the Census consultation rulings so will await his input on the Forum or more likely in a future newsletter.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

Since I was also wearing my advocacy hat I must take a close look to see what kind of treatment that group got!! I am not holding my breath.

6. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Bob, Peter has issued an extra newsletter....search your emails.

7. Bob Spiers

Thanks emjay but I have already read Peter's newsletter of the 26th (remember I posted on the 24th) and noted his comments on the ONS response to the 2021 Census; they were much as I expected and am in total agreement.

I have had no newsletter email since and allowing that the odd one or two in the past have not got through, I double checked with the LC website, and the 26th Newsletter is the latest one shown.

8. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Sorry Bob didn't note the date of your post. I'm away from base at present,just using my phone.....missing the bigger picture

9. Bob Spiers

You may have to be content with the 'B' movie;)

10. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

'B' for Bob ?

11. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

I am extremely disappointed to read that Canada is thinking of going in the same direction as the U.K. on the 2026 census. Our Chief Statistician resigned on September 16 in protest. All this despite the fact that the 2016 mandatory short form census was reported to be "the best census since 1666."

12. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Unfortunately, from a statistical point of view there's a lot to be said for the proposed new system - although they won't know until after the 2021 Census how well it works in practice. If we want to keep the conventional UK census then we need to convince the government that:
    1. A decennial census is needed to verify that the statistics calculated using existing records are reliable, and
    2. The cost can be drastically reduced by making better use of technology - by 2031 the number of people who don't have access to the Internet will be minimal
    Important thought it may be to us, most politicians and policy makers will see the heritage value of the census is speculative - and 100 years in the future, long after they've collected their index-linked pensions.

The 2011 Census is said to have cost £480 million, about £20 per household - this is a ridiculously high figure (although in 2012 the ONS said that it represented very good value). I reckon it could be done for a fifth of that price in 2031 simply by using a lot of technology and a little bit of ingenuity - so what I'm suggesting isn't impossible.