1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Time to change your passwords!

Discussion in 'Comments on the latest newsletter' started by Pauline, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

This caught my eye in the latest newsletter since I have likewise received several of these threatening spam emails, quoting my email address and a password in the subject line.

The first one came some weeks ago and I immediately started changing my passwords. I also checked out the "Have I Been Pwned?" website to see if other email addresses and passwords had been stolen, and found that they had.

Even if you haven't received any of these threatening emails, I would recommend heeding Peter's advice on this one, and at the very least check out the "Have I Been Pwned?" website.

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Just a note to say - be careful what you post about security issues, as you never know who might be watching. Most parts of the forum are open to all, including search engines.

3. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

I hope I was careful enough with what I wrote!

4. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Your post was fine - it was very non-specific, so didn't give anything away. My message was intended as a warning to anyone who might reply to your post, especially members who (against my advice) use their own names.