1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Those same old names

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by Liberty, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Liberty

Liberty LostCousins Megastar

I was reading an article on the BBC website entitled 'Does a baby's name affect its chances in life?' Nothing really to do with family history, but quite interesting. Then I came across a statement
    "Before 1800, ...... four first names referred to half of all English men." While the article doesn't identify which names they were, I bet we all have our suspicions.

2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Ok, well using FTA I got these answers for my tree.

John 131
    William 131
    Thomas 92
    James 78

Let me see if I can restrict that to before 1800

3. Tim

Well, would you Adam and Eve it!!

John 12
    William 9
    Thomas 8
    James 7

But then again I suppose there is some logic in that, the eldest son being named after the father etc.

4. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

Tim, surely you are referring to my husband's family:D!

5. Tim

What, Adam and Eve? :)

6. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

Well that would have made my research somewhat easier:confused:. I would imagine that there are far fewer Adam Smiths' than John Smiths':eek:! And try researching Mary Smith, daughter of William - Eve would be much easier!

7. Tim

John Smith's? Now we're talking, anybody who gets a drink named after them is pretty high ranking in my book! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

Nobody has mentioned mere females but overall Elizabeth, Mary and Ann would rate first place on my tree. William outranks John, Thomas and James. When I looked back even pre 1850 I was surprised at the diversity of names so thank you Liberty for encouraging me to look at my tree from a fresh perspective. Incidentally my Smiths either stayed put or married people with much more unusual last names so I have learned not to grow apprehensive when the name shows up.

9. alanmack

alanmack LostCousins Member

What about his 'cousin' Newcastle Brown?:D

10. Tim

Or Samuel Adams? :)

11. Liberty

Changing the flavour, I have a huge number of John Wests in my tree (and a lot of them were fishermen...)

12. Liberty

If anyone is really interested, you might like to check out the Given Name Frequency Project. I think it's all a bit to scholarly to just list the popular names, but the link to an article on long term trends, seems to suggests that James may not have have been one of the Top Four. My own family tree features Robert quite highly, and that, like James, is certainly one of the runners-up. And you are spot on as regards the medal winners.